Chapter 52

Don began to stir after falling asleep again when he could tell his wife was still lying beside him on the bed but was trying to talk quietly on her cell phone. "No honey, I'm not going, I don't want to leave your father. Please tell Hen I'm sorry, but I need to be here. Yeah, can you record it for-"

"She'll be there." Don said as he took the phone from his wife and told their oldest daughter.

Meryl shook her head. "No, I'm not."

"Make sure they have her usual entrance and spot cleared-she'll be there; I'll call her a can. Thanks Mames, love you too, bye." Don said as he stared at his wife.

Meryl shook her head. "That was pretty heavy handed of you."

"Baby, Henry doesn't play in New York every night. We are always there when he plays." Don pointed out. "And I would feel better if you took a cab; it will be safer for you."

Meryl sighed. "He understands; you are more important right now. We'll catch his next gig when he's in town."

"No, you are going." Don held up his hands before she could protest. "I'm sure I will sleep most of the night; you go and listen to our boy, record it for me, bring us a late dinner, and we can watch it together."

Meryl traced his facial features with her fingers. "What if you have a reaction? What if you need me? I would never forgive myself."

"I'll call, or have the nurses call. The doctor said everything is fine." Don promised. "Babe, we're finally getting our lives back. I want you to go; I would feel awful if you didn't go. Please, do it for me."

Meryl knew he was right, and they never missed one of Henry's gigs. "You'll call if anything changes? You promise?"

"I promise." Don nodded.

Meryl smiled as her lips descended on his. "I can't say no to you."

"I love that about you." Don smiled as she kissed him again.

Meryl sighed as she got up and placed his cell phone, water, remote, and call button on his tray. "This should be everything you need. You should get some more pain meds soon. I'd rather them wait to get you up and walking until..."

"You're off the clock, doc." Don said as he placed her fingers to her lips. "Tell our boy to break a leg, just not a string."

Meryl shook her head at his typical joke as she kissed him again. "I'll be back soon; I love you."

"I love you too." Don smiled as she stopped at the door and took one last look at him. "Go; I'm fine." Don laughed as she left the room. His smile grew as he thought about the only time they missed one of his gigs in New York.

***

It was Monday morning December 12th, 2005 and Meryl was not happy. She was supposed to be done with filming The Devil Wears Prada but here she was getting ready at the crack of dawn trying not to wake her husband so she could go into work; it was a day she was supposed to have free to celebrate her husband's 59th birthday and his exhibition.  She didn't get to spend the day with him like she wanted, like she had planned all because of some stupid reshoots. She would have to settle for the exhibition that night and alone time after; they had celebrated as a family the night before, and she was glad Louisa wanted to stay with her Uncle Third and Aunt Maeve and Maude that night so they could have the apartment to themselves. Meryl hated to wake him, but she couldn't leave without telling him bye, not on his birthday. She carefully climbed on the bed, straddled him, and placed sweet kisses on his face. "Happy Birthday, baby."

"Mmmm...I like this." Don moaned. "Stay."

Meryl had been experiencing guilt lately, and this only made it worse. "I wish I could, baby; but, I'll be there tonight."