Chapter 42

It was Sunday; Don and Meryl's last full day together. They had greatly enjoyed their time together; no phone calls, no health scares-it was just the two of them making love, sleeping, reading, and watching television together. Meryl was cuddled up to his side after they took a bath together, and they were both reading the newspaper he was holding. "I was thinking we could laze around here all morning and day and then maybe actually leave the suite for dinner?"

"I like we've been eating all of our meals in bed." Don teased.

Meryl laughed as she kissed his forehead. "Me too, baby; but we could get dressed up and make it an evening of sexual tension. It's been awhile since we've had one of those."

"I do like our evenings of sexual tension once it's broken." Don teased as he held her tighter; loving that she was being so cuddly the day before they were to be parted, which was very unusual for her.

Meryl turned on her side and stroked the mole under his eye. "I was hoping you'd come to the set with me before you leave tomorrow. Maybe I can even go to the airport with you?"

"Really? You're not going to pull away or start a fight with me?" Don was partly teasing.

Meryl placed a long and loving kiss on his lips. "No; because then I can't chase after you."

"Damn, I was hoping you would." Don said; this time kissing her.

Meryl deepened the kiss for a few moments. "Besides, I like being a lover more than being a fighter."

***

Meryl had just returned home from weeks of shooting parts of the film Mamma Mia in London, away from her family. She was looking forward to some much needed time with them only to be deflated after only being home a day when she found out that her husband would be leaving for business. "What do you mean you're leaving?"

"Babe, I have to go to England and check on this sculpture." Don sighed as he was packing his bag.

Meryl stood there with her hands on her hips. "So, NOW you decide to go to England?"

"What is that supposed to mean?" Don asked as his head popped up.

Meryl went into the bathroom to retrieve their dirty clothes. "I just mean that you go to England NOW, once I'm home. Yet, you wouldn't come visit me."

"Meryl, this is work, I don't have any choice." Don was getting frustrated.

Meryl dropped a piece of laundry and Don picked it up, then she yanked it from him. "Don't worry; while you're gone I'll wash your clothes, take care of your daughter, and make sure your home is perfect for you when you get back."

"You want to play this game? I was the one home for the past month while YOU were off singing and dancing around with Brosnan and filling the role of Mommy AND Daddy! I think you can handle it for a few days." Don was livid. "Meryl, what is wrong with you? I am going NOW so I can go to Greece with you next month. It was the only time I could meet with these dealers." Don tried to make her understand.

Meryl shook her head. "Whatever. Seeing as I'm expected to stay home and be the good wife; what do you want for dinner?"

"Whatever you want." Don said as he followed her downstairs; trying desperately to avoid a fight.

Meryl was about to scream once she got to the laundry room, and slamming the washer door shut after throwing in the laundry. "Why do you have to be so fucking indecisive?"

"You want decisive, fine?!" Don yelled. "I was going to leave in the morning so we could have tonight together, but I'll leave tonight!"

Meryl was furious and hurt. "FINE! It will be a lot more peaceful around here without you!"