Chapter 25

Gracie's POV

After rehearsal, Lin and I were pushed into a car, and sent with instructions. 'To look pretty and be the picture perfect theatre family.' Aye Mi Ma.

Once home, Vanessa laid out of my dress, and I just stared at it for a while. It must have been a $200 dollar Sherri Hill.

"Hey, Mija." V laid her hands on my shoulder, and leaned it on my body.

I didn't respond, instead a tear fell from eye. I didn't know what to do. Or what to say. What if they asked me something I didn't know. What if they asked about Jasmine and Anthony? I would surely collapse right there.

Vanessa whipped my tear and pulled me into an embracive hug. My head cradled into her shoulder, I led it out.

"I'm sorry for the water works. It's just I'm scared that they ask about.." I trailed my own words because I could even say their names out loud.

"You don't have to answer anything you don't want to. Nobody will blame you. That's the great thing about theatre people, I have learned that they are very acceptable about anything."

I thought about yesterday...the pulse nightclub shooting. I remember how Lin woke up crying when he heard about it, 'Why couldn't everyone be this acceptive?'

"I know I just am nervous about everything. Will you help me with my dress?" I handed her the crop top of my royal blue dress.

"Anything for my little Mija." She helped me zip up the dress.

After the get dressed, Vanessa and her beautiful dress and I walked down to Blushington for makeup artist to do their thing. 

I probably looked very stupid. I was just walking around in a ball gown, people stopped and stared commenting on how we were probably going to the Tony's tonight. A few girls knew who I was, and took pictures as I walked through the streets with V.

They did an amazing job with the makeup. I loved the way I looked...I mean pretty. Like genuinely beautiful, and I wasn't used to feeling this way.

"You look so pretty." Vanessa said to me, as I dropped my head due to her comment.

"She's right. " Mandy, my beautiful makeup artist said to me. I looked at myself, I mean she's right. I just have trouble with complementing me.

"Th-Thank you." I shifted my eyes from Mandy back to Vanessa.

"It's not a problem...I just can't believe I got to do an makeup for some one who is going to be at the Tony's." She laid her hands on me, and giggled.

It had rained on the way to Blushingtons, so I had to re-do my hair as soon as I got back to the apartment. Lin wasn't in the foyer or the living room when we got back.

"I bet he is grooming his hair." Vanessa commented as she walked back to their bedroom. She is probably right.

I walked back to my room, and all I could hear is Vanessa yelling at Lin. All I heard was through the walls, "Lin Manuel Miranda! Why are you always combing your hair."

"It's the Tony's, baby!" He complimented his wife.

"It's every freaking day." Vanessa yelled back, which I snickered at.

I straightened my hair. Curls were not my thing, and especially not for long nights. They would just fall after an hour. I looked at my hair, thick turned straight. How often did that happen?

"Mija. You look maravilloso." His mouth opened, at the sight of his grown up daughter, me.

"Gracias, Padre." I didn't know much Spanish, and I mean I should with all the Latino people in my life.

                                            •••

"Now, Mr. Miranda who is with you tonight?" A reporter asked Lin as I stood on the red carpet of the Tony's.

His arm wrapped around Vanessa's waist and on the other side of him was me.

"This is my wife Vanessa and my daughter Gracie." I waved when I heard my name.

"Now Gracie. How old are you?" The reporter asked me, passing down the microphone to me.

"I'm fifteen years old!" I answered innocently, with a faint smile.

"And already a star isn't she? Lin, how did this all come about?" The reporter asked him directing his attention away from me.

I didn't want to discuss me being in foster care. No. That would be so awkward. Please Lin avoid the question.

"Her being on broadway? Well she did what every young actor does to be on Broadway. She auditioned, just like any actor in the cast. " Lin stirred away from the subject of my adoption.

"Before that? " The reporter asked, pushing the microphone back to me.

"I was in foster care and sung on the subway for extra cash. Is that what you wanted to here? I stumbled across Lin while I was singing Satisfied."

"Gracie. You don't have to tell him that." Lin put a fatherly hand on my shoulder and tried to make me look at him, but I objected as I turned my attention to the reporter and his camera.

"No why not, that's what the world wants to know right." I looked right at the reporter who looked intrigued, "Do you want to know the days I cried when Jasmine and Anthony's plane's went missing? The days I didn't preforming because I was to sad to bring myself to sing happy lyrics? The days I didn't text my boyfriend Nick back because I knew the phone that I held was bought by Jasmine and Anthony? Is that what you want to know. " I wrapped up my spill to the whole entire world.

"I didn't mean to upset you..I just." The reporter looked speechless

"Upset me? I'm just letting the world know what it want to know. "

The reporter, Lin, and Vanessa looked shocked. I just said all of that on national TV. Why did I do that? I'm such an idiot.

-an//
dang gracie
-kenz