9

The last time I was sat in the waiting room of the doctor's office, I had resigned myself to thinking that I would be a single mother

The last time I was sat in the waiting room of the doctor's office, I had resigned myself to thinking that I would be a single mother. Now, as I sat here once again, Isaac was at my side, his leg twitching uncontrollably as he kept checking his watch. Part of me was nervous that he wanted to get out of here as soon as possible, that it was an entire waste of his time. I knew better than to believe that, though, as Isaac has done nothing but be a control freak in the last week. Honestly, I think I preferred the days when he was disinterested. 

He's bought a baby name book. Oh, and he also has highlighters and bookmarks so that he can choose the names he likes. So far, he's only reached the F names in the girls' section of the book as he keeps going back to change his mind, only to go back and change his mind again. It's been the most frustrating thing in the world, especially since I've already told him the names that I like. Elodie if we have a girl and Dashiell if we have a boy. 

"No and no," was all Isaac really said on my picks. "Here, what about Dido?"

Luckily, we have a few more months before we need to narrow it down on the name front, which is why Isaac has shifted his attention to everything pre-natal. He's signed us up for practically every class going and he's been busy shopping, stocking up on countless vitamins and tablets that a mum-to-be needs to take in order to have a healthy baby. He's been on the look out for nursery furniture, too, and even asked if we'll have the baby Christened. 

"Yes," I nodded in answer to his question. Even though Isaac isn't particularly religious, my family is. I was anticipating that he'd kick up a fuss but to my astonishment, he simply agreed with me and smiled. In that moment, with his guard down, I decided to pounce. "I like the name 'Margot.'"

"Sounds like 'maggot'," Isaac said, scrunching up his nose. 

"Well, 'Dido' sounds like 'dodo,'" I countered, rather impressed that I'd been quick enough to formulate and deliver a comeback. "Louna?"

"Yes, because it's every father's dream to have his daughter being called a lunatic," he sarcastically said, rolling his eyes as he spoke. After that, we stopped discussing names and decided that we'd compile a list of names we liked and then narrow it down after. 

As the clock in the waiting room ticked, nearing the time for the booking appointment, Isaac's leg still had that nervous tick going on. It was driving me insane, as were most things nowadays. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of pregnancy; the glow hadn't kicked in, the morning sickness came like waves, in ebbs and flows, and I was far more irritable than usual. The slightest noise had me seeing red, so the constant tapping of Isaac's heel on the hardwood flooring, echoing off the walls, was really enough to make me want to rip his limb clean off his body. 

"Will you stop doing that!" It wasn't a question but more of a command. I didn't care that there was a sharpness in my voice or that there were people now staring at me. Isaac was more than a little surprised by my outburst if the expression on his face was an indicator. I scowled back at him. "If you didn't want to come-"