Catch-22

"Yeah, but have you ever actually been to Disney?" Mick asked with slight amusement in his voice

I'd been telling him all morning about Lottie's passive aggressive tendencies these past few days, culminating this morning in her yelling at me that I wouldn't understand what she's going through because I've already been to Disneyland. 

"No!" I shout, venting my frustration over the whole situation to my best friend. From the way Mick glares at me, I'm rather thankful that it was him that was on the receiving end of my irritation and not Lottie. I can well imagine how she would have taken it. "Like, mate, I have no idea what she's going on about. One second she's normal and then suddenly, she's just a completely different girl. I love her but right now, with the attitude she's got, I can't say that-"

"Stop," Mick tells me. He holds up a hand and does a 'shut up' motion with it. Closing my mouth abruptly, I wait to hear what he has to say. "Do not finish that sentence because once those words are out, you can't un-say them and I can't un-hear them. I know you don't really want my opinion on this but I'm pretty sure that whatever is bugging Charlotte, it has nothing to do with Disneyland."

No shit, Sherlock. There's a ninety-nine percent chance that Lottie's attitude comes from the fact that I went to meet Alyssa last week. Well, given that Lottie started acting like this the second after I told her about the meeting, I'm pretty sure that it's most definitely that. Like, ninety-nine point nine percent. I'm just in denial about that point one percent because I'm hopeful that it's not really about that at all. 

I thought honesty was the best policy with Lottie but once I took her aside last week and told her about meeting Alyssa, it was like something inside flipped and she put up defences that I thought were long gone. Anything I said was met with the phrase, "Yeah, fine, whatever." Even baby name suggestions were dismissed with a grumbled, "I thought I was the one that was choosing but yeah, suggestions are always cool."

Talking to a brick wall would have been easier these past few days. 

"What exactly happened with you and Alyssa after, then?" Mick asks. He sits on the edge of the couch and watches me while I attempt to fit all of Lottie's soft furnishings into a cardboard box. "Are you serious about this party thing for Martha? No, wait, I have a better question. Does Martha know about Alyssa and this party you want to throw?"

I nod. "I broke the news to Martha yesterday."

"How did that go?"

"Let's just say, there's a reason that I'm hiding out here, packing up Lottie's flat, instead of being at my place, napping because I've worked three long shifts in a row," I explain. 

Our offer of the house had been accepted and the estate agent told us that we could have the keys by the end of next week, seeing as the solicitors were quick to get the paperwork sorted. I thought that this would be a great opportunity for Lottie and me to get back on track, although it now seems that my hopes were too high. Still, I knew that we needed to start boxing things up and as we've been living on my houseboat, for the most part, packing Lottie's flat would be a walk in the park. Plus, her furniture would be better suited to the new place which is why it gets to go in first. My things would have to fit around her stuff, if any of it actually got to stay.