29

I hate being irritable

I hate being irritable. It brings out my bitchy side and let me tell you something, I can be a really horrible, vicious bitch when I want to be. I absolutely hate it, though. I abhor that side of me but right now, it's taking over my life and I can't stop it. I've been like this for almost two weeks and it's alienating almost everyone around me. 

Sam and Sophie both called me out on it, Martha is avoiding me as much as she can because my level of sarcasm has surpassed hers, and Nate has banned me from the shop because I've been horrible to almost everyone. The only two people who have put up with me are Arnaud, although he's French and has a laissez-faire attitude about everything, and Isaac, who has taken the brunt of my bitchiness. However, I get the feeling that even he's running out of patience with me. 

"What about this one?" Isaac asks as we make our way around the shop. He holds up a bedding set that has elephants on it and while it's cute, I shake my head and turn my nose up at it. I hear Isaac sigh in frustration but he doesn't confront me about my attitude. Instead, he picks up the next bedding set, this time it's jungle themed, and waves it towards me. "This one?"

"No," I state, not even bothering to look at it with much interest. 

We're supposed to be shopping for things for the nursery and for the baby in general, but I can't bring myself to enjoy the experience. My head is still caught up in the whole Alyssa thing and even though I want to move past it, the threat of Isaac's ex-girlfriend looms over me. I haven't seen her since she arrived but I know she's here, lurking, getting ready to pounce on my family. Fucking bitch. 

See! This is why I'm going crazy in my mind. The burn of tears filling my eyes becomes too much and soon enough, a tear falls down my cheek. I try to wipe it away before Isaac notices but I'm not quick enough because once the droplet hits my skin, he's at my side in an instant, hand rubbing my back in circular motions while he tells me that everything is ok. 

"It's not ok, though, is it?" I manage to say despite the hiccups. I move to a remote corner of the shop, lean against the wall and slowly slide down until I'm sat on the floor, sitting with my legs crossed under me. It's uncomfortable but not as uncomfortable as having people watch me as I have a breakdown. I hear Isaac drop down onto the floor next to me, his hand taking mine in his. "I've never been to Disneyland before but you have. I hate that you've been before."

Isaac chuckles. "This doesn't have anything to do with Disneyland, really, does it?" He asks. I shake my head. "Thought not. Want to tell me what version of Disney you're talking about?"

"You've been through all this before," I say, motioning my hand wildly in the space in front of us. At my side, I see a teddy bear and pick it up from the shelf, hugging it tightly to my chest in a comforting fashion. "You're already a dad so you've been there, done that, got the teenage daughter to prove it. All this is new to me and I want to enjoy it but I can't because I feel like I'm the only one that's excited about it."