DTR

I was a man with a lot on my mind

I was a man with a lot on my mind. In no particular order, I was preoccupied with Martha and her job at Courtenay Galleries, the whole Xavier-May thing was giving me headaches, the knowledge of the Nugget's gender was keeping me up all night, and Charlotte's presence in my life was making me question my sanity. 

Ever since I saw her on Sunday, I've been mulling over our situation, even more so because I'd accidentally referred to her as my girlfriend. We haven't discussed the finer points of our situation but to me, it feels as if she's my girlfriend. We're constantly together, she stays over at my place at least four nights a week, and I'm not seeing anyone but Lottie. If that's not a relationship, then I don't know what is. When I told my colleague, Ben Copeland, this on Monday, he simply looked at me as if I was an idiot and told me that I was clueless when it comes to relationships if that was the criteria for defining one. 

I disagreed.

However, I was still trying to work out how Lottie saw this going. When Aunt Stephanie had made a comment about whether or not I was planning on marrying Lottie, I didn't know what to say. I passed if off by saying that if we were to get married, then it would have to be on Lottie's terms but the more I thought about it, the more confused I became. Yes, I want to marry Lottie. Do I want to marry her because I love her or is it because we're about to have a baby together? I'm not sure. I had to decide quick sharp which way this was going, though; I'd planned a date for us this evening so that we could define what we are to each other. Does Lottie see me as boyfriend material or not?

Before our planned date, there was one other thing we had to get out the way. 

Due to Nugget's VSD, Lottie was had to have more regular ultrasounds so that Ben could keep an eye on the progress in the condition. Or lack, thereof. Today, Lottie was coming into the hospital and I was determined to make it to her appointment, despite the fact that I was cutting it close due to an operation I was performing on a week old baby girl. I'd been keeping an eye on the time and knew I was running about ten minutes late but I couldn't rush. I had to take my time and be patient, knowing that Lottie would wait for me. 

She was, too. Sitting on an uncomfortable chair in the corridor of the hospital, when I reached her, Lottie was surrounded by a few nurses, all of whom looked as if they were giving her the grilling of her life. It reminded me of the time that her grandmother had cornered me after the St Patrick's Day party, which is how I knew that I had to go and rescue Lottie as soon as possible. The nurses on my floor were a mixed bunch- you had the older nurses who looked at me like a pesky little brother that they loved and wanted to protect, while the younger ones looked at me like I was the forbidden fruit that they wanted to take a bite out of. Knowing those ladies, they are more than capable of eating me alive. One such nurse is Rachel. 

I can't say that I'm a particular fan of Rachel. Actually, I hate her. She annoys me to death and is always trying to flirt with me, ignoring the fact that I cannot make it any more obvious that I have no interest in her.