12 Weeks

POV: Seraphina

POV: Seraphina

I always thought my mum's family were crazy, with the exception of my daideó. He's the only sane one around and my absolute favourite person in the world. It helps balance out mémé's obsession with dressing me up in fancy florals and taking photos of me, Aunt Sophie and Uncle Daniel's stupid baby talk, Aunt Emma and Uncle Adam's arguments about when they're going to have a baby themselves, and Uncle Lucas' pointless political tirades. 

Honestly, Mummy's family are weird. The only people I've met who are weirder than them, it seems, is Daddy's family. 

I've never met them before; I think Daddy keeps them away from me because he thinks they should be locked up in an asylum. The only one who seems half decent, so far, is the one that calls himself Papa. He has whiskers though and I don't like them because they make my skin itchy. Other than that, he's the best out of the bunch. 

The older woman is annoying. She calls herself Gamma. Why would she want to be known by the third letter of the Greek alphabet is anyone's idea, but if that's what she insists I call her, then so be it. Gamma's face is weird; she tried to smile at me and it was the scariest thing I've ever seen. Her singing was worse but that was to be expected. I mean, Daddy had to have inherited his voice from someone. Gamma did, however, buy me a very pretty dress. It's pink, my favourite colour, and it has white and purple unicorns on it. Mummy whispered to Daddy that it was too big but Gamma heard and she said that it was ok because I'd grown in to them. 

There were two other women and they looked identical, a little like how Aunt Sophie and Aunt Emma looked similar. They are sisters and I assume they're Daddy's sisters which makes them my aunts. Auntie May is what one wants me to call her and the other is Alice. Alice doesn't want me to call her my aunt because she said that it made her sound like an old lady who lived in a decrepit house with twenty-seven cats. She pulled a funny face when she said that but I couldn't understand why; twenty-seven cats would be amazing. 

Daddy wasn't happy when Aunt May held me. You could see him hovering around, watching her carefully and always asking if she wanted him to take me off her. Aunt May always said, "No, I'm ok. She's happy here." I wouldn't say that I'm happy. If Daddy thinks I'm in danger, then I don't think I can relax. If I can't relax, I become nervous and when I get nervous, I cry. 

"Oh, no," Gamma screeches when I let out a loud scream. Jumping into action, Gamma reaches over for me and practically snatches me from Aunt May's arm, holding me to her chest and forcing me to inhale her strong, overpowering perfume. Wanting to get away from her, I let out an even louder howl. "Come on, sweetheart. Shh, don't cry, darling."

Dad sighs loudly. "Pass her here."

"I think I can get my granddaughter to stop crying, thank you, Isaac," Gamma snaps at Daddy. I momentarily go quiet, mostly from the shock of hearing someone speak to my daddy like that. How dare she! When the shock subsides, I make the most of my tiny lungs. Gamma starts to bounce me in her arms, the motion making me feel sick. Between the crying and the motion sickness, I can't keep my insides steady and my stomach twists. "No! Isaac, she's just thrown up over me. Here, take her. This shirt is Versace."