2 Weeks

"How is it possible that something this tiny needs so much stuff?" Martha asked as she continued to pile Sera's things into the boot of the car while the baby and I stood on the pavement and supervised

"How is it possible that something this tiny needs so much stuff?" Martha asked as she continued to pile Sera's things into the boot of the car while the baby and I stood on the pavement and supervised. I refrained from telling her that it would be easier to put the pram in lengthways rather than sideways; Martha's face was all red from the effort of packing the car and I sensed that saying the wrong things could tip her over the edge. Despite the fact that I was holding her baby sister, I'm sure Martha would still pounce on me in anger. Forcing the last of the bags in the boot, Martha reached up and pulled the tailgate down with a triumphant smile. "There, all done. It's like a military drill just to leave the house with this terror."

Sera gurgled. "Yeah, baby, you tell her," I spoke aloud, joking around. "You tell your sister that you're not a terror. Good baby, yes."

Isaac's paternity leave was coming to an end in a few days and we were trying to make the most of the time remaining by heading away from the city. It had been Martha's idea originally, stating that we should get out of London so Sera could experience what fresh air is otherwise all she'll ever know is air pollution and choking fumes from cars. No, a trip to my parent's house in Surrey was what Dr Martha ordered and whatever she ordered, it was decreed.  

It had taken days of planning, even going so far as to track Sera's feeding time and nappy changing times so that we could leave just after one change and arriving at my parent's house just in time for another feed. Isaac had frantically been placing all the necessities that we'd need near the front door, creating a clutter of baby toys, a travel cot, the bouncer and a ton of other things that I doubt we'd need but it was best to have them at hand. 

Meanwhile, I had the joy of choosing twelve different outfits for Sera to wear. Twelve may seem excessive but Sera had a terrible habit of drooling, spitting up over her clothes and generally making her clothes so smelly that she was a living stink bomb. There were times when it seemed like all her clothes were in the wash and she had nothing to wear. I think that's why Martha keeps coming home from work to pop her head around the corner and throw her latest purchase at me. Yesterday, Martha was proud of the fact that she'd bought a onesie that had the slogan "I GET MY ATTITUDE FROM ALL THE WOMEN IN MY FAMILY" written on the front. It was the onesie that Sera was currently wearing. 

"Do we have everything?" Isaac asked as he stepped out of the house. When Martha and I said that we were good to go, Isaac nodded and pulled the door shut behind him. Heading to where I stood, he took Sera from me and carefully opened the rear driver's side door so he could place Sera in her car seat. I loved to watch the way Isaac treated her like she was precious cargo, his movements slow, deliberate and attentive. When Sera was buckled in and Isaac had placed a travelling mobile above her, he closed the door and took my hand in his, walking us to the other side of the car. Opening the door, he bowed slightly to me. "Your carriage awaits, my lady. Martha! Get in the bloody car."

I sat in the backseat so I could watch over the baby while Isaac and Martha were in the front. Music played quietly in the background, not that anyone could hear it above the sound of father and teenage daughter bickering. I can't even begin to explain what they were arguing about; the conversation began with Martha explaining what band she and Will had gone to see on Friday night and now they were debating which band from Australia was the best. Who knew that there were that many bands to choose from!