Failsafe

Failsafe:

No. No no no no no! He's gone. He's gone!

"Dad." I whispered watching the screen.

He's gone. Why do I feel so empty? Something's off. I look back at the screen and see Batman get vaporized. I gasp and look at Robin, who's masked eyes widened, then became normal again. It started with the Green Lantern's, then Martian ManHunter, Captain Marvel, Captain Atom, and my dad. They're gone. Now Batman too. Why am I not feeling sad, or depressed about this? I had to push the thought aside when Zatara came on the screen. He addressed Red Tornado who was with us.

"Tornado, did you--"

"Yes. Zatara, we saw." The robot answered.

"Celestial defenses have failed, initiate all terrestrial measures." RT said.

Zatara nodded, "Affirmative. See you in the field." And the screen shut off. RT turned to us.

"I must join the League, we will protect the planet at all costs. But should we fail, the responsibility falls to you." RT said.

Aqualad stepped forward, "We stand ready."

It's all over the news. Flash, Wonder Woman, Red Tornado, every Leaguer is gone. It's really up to us.

"We are earths heroes now." Aqualad said.

"So what are we waiting for? A theme song?" Superboy asked.

"A strategy. Earths weapon's are ineffective , and it has been made tragically clear a direct attack will not succeed."

Robin pulled up his computer, "Checking satellite imagery. Here's where the aliens are now." Robin said. We all looked at the hologram of earth and looked at where the aliens were. One was alone.

"This one get lost?" Superboy asked.

"It's Superman's fortress of Solitude. Dad and I used to go sledding there when I was young." I said.

"Superman has a fortress of solitude?"

"You went sledding there?"

I waved the last question away. "Agh, yes I loved sledding. Anyways, its power source must have attracted the aliens attention." I said.

"At least to send a scout." Robin said.

"Must be some fortress." Superboy muttered.

"Connor." M'Gann tried comforting him. Yeah, it was a great summer getaway. Lots of ice skating, snowball fights, amazing powers, etc. But now is not the time to be thinking about that.

"We will target this lone ship." Aqualad said. Wally got pumped up,"Yeah! Break it down! Build more! Hit those ugly aliens with there own--"

"Ahem." I coughed. Are you kidding me?

"Martian and Kryptonian's in the house." Artemis said. Wally looked at M'Gann, Conner, and I and blushed.

"Uh, heh, not that all aliens are automatically ugly." He said. I raised and eyebrow and glared. Wally suddenly found an interest in the wall.

It was a long trip, but here we are at Superman's fortress of solitude. We landed behind a huge snow bank and watched the scout ship fly around. We got into position and attacked. After Artemis, M'Gann, and Aqualad disabled communications and such, Superboy and I joined the fight. We held the laser gun thing up as Robin scanned it.

'Here here, and here.' Robin said pointing to different spots.

M'Gann used her powers to disassemble the laser from the ship. Connor and I lifted the laser out of its place. We were almost done pulling it out completely when Wolf knocked Connor and I away.