Complications

Lights everywhere bombarded my eyes. It was too bright. I moaned and shut my eyes tighter. My head was swimming and I could faintly hear people talking.

"--ow did she get like this?!"

"--it was--"

I felt my body shudder and a wanted to curl up.

"She-- awake! She will only hurt-- self more by moving."

More lights flickered, and I twisted to get away.

"--iss M, put her to slee-"

One voice was as clear as crystal.

"Audrey, be strong for me. I love you!"

That was when I completely blacked out.

I blinked my eyes open and looked at my surroundings. I was in the Hall of Justice's Medbay? What happened to me. I looked at the weird lights focused on me on the table next to me, and the machines I was hooked to on my other side. I sat up in the bed and leaned my head against the back. I looked at my hands and they were so pale and shaky.

A clatter brought my attention to the door and I saw Dick with a shocked expression... an a smoothie on the ground. I didn't even hear him come--- I didn't hear him. Alarmed, I sat up and tried to move.

"No no no no Audrey! Stay in bed please!" Dick said running over and gently grabbing my shoulders.

"W-whats going on?" I cried. I continued to push against him but I found I couldn't.

"Please! Be careful! You've been in a coma for a month!" Dick said, his eyes watering. Shocked, I slumped against the back of the bed.

"A month? Dick. what. happened!" I said becoming more and more scared.

"I-I need to get your dad..." Dick said twisting the end of his shirt. I was actually surprised he wasn't in his Nightwing costume. He stumbled out of the room.

"No wait! Dick come back!" I yelled.

Nurses and doctors filed in and began checking me. Once they were done my dad came in with Dick lingering behind. My dad engulfed me in a hug.

"Oh sweetie I was so worried, your mom was worried, your brother was worried... everyone was so worried!" Clark Kent said.

"Thanks, but what happened?" I asked.

"Lex Luthor happened." My dad said in a low voice.

"What?" I said becoming more confused.

"It's all my fault." Dick said. My dad shook his head.

"We've discussed this. It was not your fault." My dad said in an effort to calm my boyfriend before he wound up in tears.

"It is! I sent her on that mission! Her, Tim, and Cassie! I sent you to gather Intel on Luthor because we got a tip that he was manufacturing products in aid for the Reach." Dick said.

Part of it came back. The Reach were these aliens that came to earth claiming to be friendly, but we knew otherwise and are trying to stop them from a full on invasion. I remember Lex Luthor having something to do with it, and I was in one of his buildings.

"He knew you were coming. He separated you from Cassie and Tim. We think he targeted you specifically because of your history with him and Superman. I was in the new base when Cassie comm'd in screaming for backup. You weren't answering your comm."  Dick said sitting on the bed next to me.

"Miss M and I went in as backup. When we found you, Luthor had already left, but there was a beam of light directed at you. You were screaming and couldn't move. Miss M smashed the Ray gun and you were barely awake. Miss M found kryptonite infused to the laser. You stopped yelling and Miss M put you into a sleep. You never woke up until now." Dick said grabbing my hand.