Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Lawson Estate

Jacob walked into the elegant foyer of his family's home and handed his coat to Jonathan.

"You have a visitor Lord Jacob.  She stated that you were expecting her," staring rigidly at Jacob, Jonathan continued, "She stated that you hired her as an assistant and her prints did show she was part of your staff.  She's in your private studies."

Jacob smiled warmly at Jonathan, "I think I may have played a little too roughly with Saia."

Jonathan's expression didn't change, "I doubt that young lord."  Walking away with his coat he added, "Saia knows how to tuck and roll."

Jacob laughed as shook his head seeing that he'd obviously spoken to Saia or Anton about what transpired at the palace.

Walking up the wide staircase he whistled the Alliance anthem as he turned to go to his wing of the house.  Reaching the crescendo he wondered why his mother always got testy when he talked about moving out.  Nodding, as he didn’t miss a note, he decided he'd talk to his parents about it again tonight at dinner.

Walking into his studies he blinked twice when the seats in front of his desk were empty.

"Lord Jacob, I hope you don't mind that I waited here."  Ebony sat in one of the seats located in front of a wide picture window that had a wonderful view of the Lawson gardens and of the palace.

Sitting down in front of her, he quickly took in her nervous hand wringing and tapping feet. "I have to ask." He began as he started to smile frostily, "Why would you agree to work for me?"

Ebony gaze moved past his eyes to rest on his forehead as she whispered, "I don't know."  She turned to look away from him and shrugged, "I can't stand Arturo's presence in Kayo's life and you offered to help us."

Smirking at her profile he sat back in the chair, "Kayla offered to help you too."

Ebony shook her head, "Kayla would have made it happen and Lucas would have thought I was using her.  You on the other hand offered me a way to help myself."  Turning she stared at him, "I am curious what does the position entails."

Jacob's smile never slipped as he leaned forward to stare into her violet eyes, "Frist off, I don't want or need a paramour.  They are too clingy and needy," he searched her mind for her apprehension and his smile widened, "So instead I decided to hire an assistant to help me."

Ebony felt a chill run up and down her spine as his honey sweet voice surrounded her.  Suppressing a shutter she pressed her lips together, "You want me to do the job of a paramour without publicly announcing that I am your paramour."

Jacob sat back in his chair never breaking eye contact, "Hmm.  That sounds almost right.  You will also be my assistant and accompany me whenever I ask or need accompaniment."

Ebony's foot tapped rapidly against the floor; she could feel her distress rising, "Jacob.  I don't want to be a paramour."

Jacob smiled as he rose with am air that stated the conversation was over, "Good because I don't want a paramour."

Slowly Ebony rose and shook her head hoping to wake up from the nightmare she was in, "If I refuse the job -"

Smirking Jacob stared mockingly at her, "Any assistance I can and would give you would no longer be forthcoming."

Ebony sat down heavily, dejected, she placed her head into her hands: What should I do?  If I change my mind it will take years before I can divorce Arturo and that's if I can keep the last of my family's fortune from him and my family.  Sighing she looked at Jacob with worried eyes, "Can I really trust you."