Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Golden District

Jacob stared at the golden facade of the house and pursed his lips. "I don't like the color," he said offhandedly to Kaelen as he opened the oversized black door.

Kae leaned back out the door to look at the golden hue of the building and chuckled, "What's wrong with it?"

Shrugging, Jacob pointed to the door, "It should have a wooden door instead of that big black metal door."

Kaelen nodded as he looked at a windows, "This house does make me wonder, with all of the ironwork, who were they trying to keep out?"

Jacob smirked as he turned to Kae cocking an eyebrow, "Or who were they trying to keep in.

Kae rolled his eyes as he could see Jacob was already thinking up ways to torment his assistant. "You really should fix that personality flaw you have when it comes to her," mumbled Kae as he glanced at the medic helping the agent.  Sighing we walked toward him knowing he needed to make it look like one of them cared he was hurt.

Jacob rolled his eyes and turned into the room that everyone seemed to be gathering into and walked toward Lucas, "I received a message that there was an incident."  Looking at the bodies he continued, "So what happened."

Lucas shot Kayla a dark scowl before turning and pointing toward Ebony, "She encourage Kayla to leave the palace without letting anyone know."

Kayla stared in disbelief that he was trying to blame Ebony. "That is not true and you know it.  Do not try to make this her fault.  I was excited and overlooked letting anyone know I was leaving!"

Staring glacial daggers Lucas spoke slowly, "So even though you've already been attacked once you decided it was a good idea to leave the palace without an escort or telling anyone."

Kayla sent a glance toward Ebony to see she was still staring at the damage bookshelf, "Is it wrong for me to want to be with someone that doesn't have ulterior motives to spend time with me?  Is it wrong that I was excited to be out of the palace?"

Lucas stared toward Ebony and raked his hands through his hair frustrate but knowing Kayla was right, "Ebony what in the name of Apollo are you doing?"

Ebony not realizing Jacob had arrived answered despondently, "I'm wondering if Lord Jacob would want these shelving units replaced if he chooses this residence."

Lucas laughed awkwardly as he turned to Kayla and pointed at her, "Is she in shock?"

Kayla shook her head with a small frown knitted between her eyebrows, "I don't think so.  She was extremely calm during the commotion.  She even had the foresight to leave one alive for questioning"

Ebony, touched one of the shelves that hadn't broken during the fighting, as she continued in the same tones, “The one alive hesitated before attacking so I assumed he didn't wish to die."

Lucas stared at the dead bodies and then toward Jacob and Kae, the look on his face easy to read as he jerked his head toward the woman at the bookcase, she killed them by herself.

Kaelen stared at the guy on the floor, his chest crushed, "Wow that looks like it hurt."

Jacob walked toward Ebony and whispered into her ear, "So you believe I'd like this residence?"

Ebony turned and nodded, "I believe the size and style are what you said you wanted."  Touching her cheek she looked around the room again, "Aside from the front door which is easily remedied."