Chapter Forty Six

Chapter Forty Six

Ah'Taria - The Gold District, Phoenix Crest Manor

Ebony rolled over feeling a pull in her abdomen for the third day in a row and frowned.  Medic Artemis Smith had said she'd needed to follow up with him every two weeks until the pain went away and for the first two months she had.

"Why are you glaring at yourself in the mirror," drawled Jacob.  Walking up behind her he cupped her breast in his hand, "These are prefect."

Ebony giggled as she leaned her head against his shoulder and thought, he's so bipolar.  "I was just thinking I need to schedule an appointment with Medic Smith sometime this week."

Jacob ran his hands along the curve of her waist, frowning at her reflection.  "I'd feel better if you'd find a medic that didn't flirt with you all the time."

Arching a black brow she watched as his hands entwined over her stomach.  "I'll take your wishes under consideration but for now I believe I should set up an appointment."

Jacob placed a kiss behind Ebony's ear before giving her a smile that could melt ice.  "Make it happen by the end of the week."

With a stressed nod Ebony sighed as she watched him walk away.  "I saw the council meeting was cancelled today," she said as she started to brush her hair out.

Jacob sighed, when did I turn into my parents.  I am in the bathroom with a naked woman that I sleep with every night having a casual conversation.  "What would you do if I were to get married?"

Ebony paused as she moved so she could see him in the mirror's reflection. She could feel her calm slipping and decided it was best to say as few words as possible.  "What would you want me to do?"

Jacob smirked, "I'm not sure.  I believe I'd want you to be angry and jealous."

Ebony gave him an appraising look before responding overly-polite. "Sure I'll be angry and jealous and upset."  Shaking her head at him she set the brush down and started to twist her hair.  "Is there any other emotions you'd like me to feel?"

Jacob waved a hand and the water in the showers turned on.  "Now that I think about it," he said turning to look at her reflection again.  "Why don't you love me like Kayla loves Lucas?"

With a laugh Ebony picked up a plain silver hair barrette.  "Is that what you want?  For me to be madly in love with you, Jacob?"

Jacob's eyes narrowed as he focused on her with a smirk, "Why'd you just clear your mind?"

With a teasing smile Ebony turned to exit the bathroom, "I have to get dressed and see if I can schedule an appointment."

****

Ah'Taria - The Gold District, Medical Center

"You didn't have to accompany me to the medic facilities," sighed Ebony as they sat waiting for Medic Smith to come and retrieve her.

"Why are we sitting here," whispered Jacob as he looked around the crowded lobby.  "Why are any of this people here,” he sent a politician smile at everyone gawking at him.

When a camera flashed in his face Ebony had to stop herself from laughing out loud.  "I am waiting to be seen," she said covering her mouth.

"Why," asked Jacob as he met the eyes of a little yellow eyed girl.  Waving nicely toward the little girl he leaned toward Ebony and whispered, "Are all these people sick."

Tilting her head back she pressed her lips together so she would laugh, "I don't know."

Jacob sighed in frustration rising he walked toward the semi-circled desk and started speaking to the open-mouthed receptionist.  Within seconds the lobby was empty of all the waiting patients as medics started to come out and call the names of everyone waiting.