Chapter Fifty Six part A

Chapter Fifty Six

Ah'Taria - Lucas and Kayla's Room at the Palace

Slowing his step as they approached the patio doors Lucas turned to smirk at Jacob and Kevin. "You know Kayla, Ebony and the kids are down there, right?"

Shaking his head Kevin looked around puzzled, "Okay?  Why are we stopping here then?  Let's go say hi to the women and play with the kids."

Sighing Lucas pointed toward the newly repaired balcony, "Down there they are discussing any and everything they'd never even think about in front of me, Jacob or Kae."

Blankly, Kevin stared from Lucas to Jacob, "Are you serious?  We're supposed to stand up here and listen to them talk about only the gods knows what?"

Jacob heaved a sigh before he moved closer to the banister to peer down at them.  "Be quiet before they realize we're here."

"So," rocking back on his heels Kevin laughed quietly, "we're going stand in the shadows and eavesdrop on them?"  When both men nodded his lips kicked up, "But why?"

"Shut up and listen or go down there and watch them stop talking," sighed Lucas impatiently. 

"I swear you both act like they are talking about the secrets to the universe," joked Kevin shaking his head.

"They are talking about things a lot more important," snapped Lucas.  "They are talking about the little things that makes them happy."

Taken back Kevin stared at Lucas's face.  "I would have never thought you'd care if you made Kayla happy...”

Gritting his teeth Lucas sent Kevin an annoyed look.  "If she's happy I'm happy."  Rolling his eyes he continued, "I threw Kayla a huge extravagant party and gave her an emerald necklace for her birthday two years ago. I thought I'd done a great job."  Pausing to watch Kayla talk animatedly to Ebony causing him to smile a little. "I learned later that even though she was appreciative she'd rather have just spent the day with me and the children."  Tilting his head a little he stared longingly at Kayla, "I care if she's happy."

Kevin frowned, "Wow!  I'd thought I'd never see the day an Ah'Tarian would care about someone like that."  Shrugging he looked at Kayla, "Did you ask her what she wanted?"

Lucas made an affirmative sound as he scratched his head, "I'd found an image of the necklace laying around our rooms and she'd been talking about a party Ruby Hand's parents threw for weeks.  I thought she wanted the party and the necklace."

Puzzled now Kevin watched Kayla, "But she didn't?"

Lucas gave a pained look, "The necklace was something my mother wanted.  And she'd been talking about the party because she'd found it distasteful and gaudy."

Trying not to laugh Kevin turned to see Jacob eyebrows raise in amusement and a small hovering over his lips.  Sighing he tugged on his ear before turning his attention to what Ebony and Kayla were talking about.

******

Sipping the sour lemonade Ebony lips puckered as her eyes squinted when the sour liquid hit her tongue. "Kayla are you feeling okay?"  Trying not to gag she set the cup down.

Confused Kayla bottom lip poked out a little as she looked up from her device, "I'm fine.  Why do you ask?"

"Why is this lemonade so sour?" Pointing at the offending drink she snapped. "It doesn't even taste like you've add sugar or water!  It's like you just juiced some lemons and gave it to me!"

Kayla picked up her full glass and took a tentative sip.  She smacked her lips and shook her head, "No it taste fine."

Appalled Ebony snatched her cup and took a sip.  "This is horrible!"  Setting the cup back down she sighed dejectedly.  "And where are Jael Quinn's butter cookies?"