Prologue

Prologue

Marc
"The new assistant you requested is here, Mr. Paxton."

"Send him in." There wasn't a response. "Is there a problem?"

"It's a her."

"In that case, send her back. I clearly told you and the temporary agency that I didn't want a woman."

"She's the only one qualified to work for you."

"I doubt that. What happened to all the others?"

"They quit."

"Interesting. I guess I have no choice then. She'll have to do until they send someone better. Explain everything to her so there aren't any problems."

"I beg your pardon, sir?"

"Tell her the do's and don'ts. Tell her not to have any expectations or ambitions. She's only here until they find someone better who meet my requirements."

"Yes, sir."

"What is it? Why are you still standing there?"

"She insisted on meeting you personally."

I laughed. "Did she now? Not even employees who have worked in this company for years have met with me personally."

"She likes to meet with the person she'll be working closely with. The agency told us that before sending her."

I paused in the middle of the documents I had been going over. "Do you think I have time to meet with some lowly P.A.? I don't care how qualified she is and what requests she made. I'm busy, Explain everything to her and ensure she does her job impeccably so there are no problems."

"Of course, Mr. Paxton."

He left without uttering more nonsense and I sat back in my chair. He'd broken my concentration. I hated when that happened. I needed to focus on work at all times so my mind doesn't wonder elsewhere.

While I was trying to get my concentration back there was a commotion outside my door before it flung open.

"You can't go in there."

I relaxed in my chair a little amused by the situation.

"May I help you, Ms...?"

"So you're the asshole who thinks he's too good to meet the person who will practically be in charge of his life for a while."

I didn't answer her. The woman glaring at me wasn't more than 5 feet tall. I had been prepared to entertain her, until I got a good look at her. My face changed immediately. She was the spitting image of her. Madeline...

She had a face I wanted to forget, a face I needed to forget. I didn't like that.

"Get rid of her." I didn't keep my head up long enough to know if he did what I asked or not. My concentration had returned and I was now once again deeply focused on the task in front of me.
***********

Something fell rather ungraciously on my desk blocking my view of the documents I had been reading.

"That date is circled on your calendar. I asked everyone on this floor but no one seemed to have an answer for me. Therefore I had no choice but to come in here."

"Good morning, Ms. St. Patrick. How are you today? I'm doing quite well. Thank you for asking."

"Just answer the question, asshole."

I had tried everything to get rid of the woman standing before me but unfortunately I was stuck with her for the time being. She wasn't bad at her job. She was rather good, but she had a nasty attitude and no respect for me whatsoever. I looked down at the calendar and the date that was circled. The amusement died on my face.

"Is there something important happening on that day? If so I will need to know the details."

"No. Nothing."

"Excuse me?"

"It must have been a mistake. Nothing important is happening on that date."

She sighed, grabbed up the calendar and left.

That date was one I didn't really want to remember because it was that day. That day is the memorial of their deaths. Despite everything I've tried and done I still couldn't forget it. The memory of what I'd done still lingers. It still haunts me. I think it will haunt me for the rest of my days.

I had to be prepared to deal with that.