9. Then a surprise comes

Marc

"Zayden is happy you're here. He's under the impression that you're my new girlfriend and we're getting married. I wonder where he go that idea?"

"I wonder. You tricked me into moving in with you."

"I did no such thing. You moved in because you wanted to. I just got you to actually admit it."

"By using your d!ck."

"Use whatever you must to make yourself feel better. The fact is, you are in my home. In the end I got what I wanted."

"So it would seem. Don't expect me to cook and clean for you."

"I have people to do that for me."

"We will not go to the office together, nor leave together."

I laughed.

"We won't? That isn't up for discussion, Mia. As long as you're here I will protect you like I'd do myself."

"Whatever," she mumbled and walked away. I let her. We'd fought enough for one day; one lifetime even. All we seem to do is fight, but strangely enough I looked forward to our fights. No one has ever really dared to stand up to me so I liked that about her. She kept me on my toes.

***

 Zayden was in bed by nine. He was a good kid. He never acted out and always followed the rules. Sometimes I think he was too perfect or maybe he was just lonely. He's also one of the reasons why I was thinking of reversing the vasectomy. Maybe if he had a sibling to fight with, he'd be less perfect.

I was looking for a quiet night at home tonight but it seems it wasn't meant to be.

"I'm going out for a bit."

Mia looked at me speculatively but didn't ask the question she wanted to.

"Okay."

"Zayden gets up sometimes at around midnight. If I'm not back by then, give him a glass of water, ensure he uses the toilet and put him back to bed."

"Noted."

Her tone wasn't friendly. I guess I understood why. It sounded like a command and not a request. I didn't have time to put her mind at ease however. This was important.
_______

"Catherine, to what do I owe this pleasure?"

"I'm surprised you came out."

"Well you did say it was really important. How is John doing these days?"

"Well enough considering the circumstances."

"Which are?"

"Phillip isn't his son."

I raised my eyebrows. Hopefully she isn't going where I think she's going with this.

"Oh? How did you find out?"

"He did. He's been skeptical from the beginning and ever since Phillip got older he's been asking more and more questions."

"Is there a chance he might actually be his and he's just overreacting?"

She looked at me unbelievably.

"What?"

"Marc, you and I both know there's a fifty percent chance Phillip could be either of yours."

"Ah. You want me to do a paternity test. No."

"What do you mean no?"

"I like my life the way it is. I don't want anything ruining it."