14. So what now?

Mia

"What did you just say?"

"The President's son is Jordan's father."

"Jordan's father is the President's son?"

I nodded. It was too late to take it back now. I'd just have to deal with the consequences, but why do I need to suffer this burden alone? I've suffered most of my adult life. There wasn't a day that went by where I didn't contemplate how to get my son back or how to keep him safe. He was always in my mind. I do however felt like I owed Marc an explanation.

"When I met Matias I had no idea who he was. I didn't even know his name. He was just a one night stand that I had one night when I was intoxicated and out in the city. I was young and carefree. I came to South America to study and enjoy my university life, and that was exactly what I did. Getting pregnant wasn't a part of the plan. When I found out I was, I thought about getting rid of it. No one would know, I told myself. It would be easy I tried to convince myself, but I just couldn't. So, I kept it to myself. I told no one. My own twin sister doesn't even know. I kept it from her.

After university it was impossible for me to stay in the country without a job, so I had to go home. I couldn't show up with a child. How was I going to explain that? How was I going to take care of him? What would my family think? That's when I met Carmen. Carmen loved children and offered to help me. Our arrangement was for her to keep Jordan and I could see him whenever I want. She wouldn't officially adopt him and she had promised to tell him who his mother is so that he wouldn't forget. It's quite obvious she hasn't told him a thing about me.

It was always my intention to return for him. I sent her money every month. I worked quite hard to make sure I never missed a month. That's why I needed the job at Paxton Corp. It didn't matter what you did or said, I had already made up my mind to stick with it because of the salary. My goal was to return for my son, but Carmen wouldn't let me see him when I did. Legally she can't keep him because we didn't have a legal arrangement but I also can't fight her for him."

"So you thought about just taking him. She wouldn't be able to report it anyway and you'd be in the clear."

"That's what I thought but there are other factors."

"Like the fact that you don't know if he has a passport or not?"

"Yes. That's one of it."

I liked that we were on the same page.

"Mia," he took my hand in his. "I can help you. Whatever it is, whatever you want to do, I'm positive I can help you. All you have to do is trust me. Trust me to take care of it and you. If you want your son, I can get him for you. We can take him back."

"Of course I want my son, but I'm afraid she won't let me take him."

"Mia, he's your son but you don't know him. You need time to build a relationship with him. We can take him away and take him back to New York, but think carefully about it. It will be a new environment where he can't speak the language and the people he knows as his parents won't be there. It's not a good situation. As much as I hate to say it, I think you should stay here for a while so he can get used to you so that when you do go back it won't be so hard for him."

"No. He can't stay here. If the president finds out that his son had a child with a stranger and that the child is still alive he'd kill him and me."

"How will he find out? You said it yourself that it was a one night stand. Who else knows? No one. Let me take care of it. Trust me. That's all you have to do."

"Okay."

This once I'm going to let someone else bear the burden. He gave me a dazzling smile and my heart skipped a beat. I pulled away from him. I couldn't think about us right now. He only smirked.