16. Paxton

Marc

Over the next couple of weeks I barely saw Mia and the withdrawal from not seeing her, the whole Catherine situation, and Safiare being Safiare was getting to me. It was just too much for me to handle. On top of all that, I had a business to run and I needed to have my wits about me so I don't make any mistakes. A mistake right now could cost me billions. I can't afford that.

Mia came into the kitchen as soon as I finished the water I'd been drinking.

"Hey, I haven't seen you in two days."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"Did you sleep at the office?"

"Yeah."

"You shouldn't work so hard."

"It's not like I have a choice. It comes with the name."

"How's Phillip?"

I shrugged.

She waited for me to say more.

"He's a child. He doesn't understand what's happening."

"Was there no other way?"

"She's asking for nine years worth of back child support which I have no problem paying. It's just money, but she's medeling in things she shouldn't be medeling in. I've made it clear to everyone around me and everyone who is involved in my life that Zayden gets it all and no one is to challenge that. I don't care who was born first or under what circumstances."

"I get it. Trust me, but Phillip didn't do anything wrong."

"I know. That's why I'm taking Catherine to court. She has no right to be demanding businesses and properties. Can you imagine the danger she'll cause poisoning his mind and pitting him against Zayden? No. She shouldn't have sole custody. In the end it always comes down to what I have and what I can give." I ran my fingers through my hair frustratedly. "You're the only one who doesn't seem to want anything that I have to offer."

"That's not true."

"Isn't it? You don't want my name or my money."

"Those are trivial things and it's just a name."

"Paxton isn't just a name, Mia. It's an empire. Look around this city. It's everywhere. It's a name that has history and carries a lot of weight. The Paxton name signifies power."

Jordan walked in before she could respond to my statement, which may have been a blessing in disguise. He was a good kid. A bit on the quiet side but a good kid nonetheless. We'd discussed long and hard how to handle things with Jordan and both agreed that home schooling for a year would be best. Once he's a bit more comfortable we'd discuss going to school.

I'd also brought up the topic of adoption. Mia wasn't against the idea but she had some reservations. The biggest one is what if we don't work and if she'd end up losing her son to me. I've assured her repeatedly that I would never fight her for custody of her own child even if we don't make it which I won't even think about.

It would be so much easier if she'd just agree to marry me.

"What was that about," I asked when she'd return.

"He was showing me his latest creation."

"I see."

Jordan would definitely go the creative route. Maybe I should start looking into art schools. Now wasn't a good time to bring that up though.

"What are you so afraid of?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know or you don't want to tell me?"