12. Please

Mia

"¡Por favor! ¡Por favor! Déjame ver mi hijo."

"Lo siento, señorita. No puedes."

She shut the door in my face and I was left standing there feeling defeated. I felt like banging on her door until she caved, but I knew I couldn't. What we did was illegal and I didn't want to call anymore attention to myself than I already did, so I left and went back to the hotel.

Carmen and I had an agreement. She wouldn't officially adopt Jordan but she would keep him and I could see him whenever I wanted and he would know who his mother is. It was always my intention to return for him but I didn't think, it would have taken this long. I was absolutely sure about one thing...I wasn't leaving Colombia without my son. I would do everything in my power to get him back.

For the next two days I watched that house like a hawk hoping to get a glimpse of my son, but I hadn't had any luck. Carmen was keeping him locked away. She couldn't do it forever. On the third day I got lucky. I finally got my first glimpse of my son in years. He was beautiful, and he looked exactly like his father. That scared me. What if someone sees him and makes the connection? I can't have that so I studied their routines over the next week. I knew where they went every day, what time they brought Jordan to school, how long it took, where his school was and also what time he goes home every day. I knew it all.

After watching him and them for about a week I knew all I needed to and made up my mind to do what I had to. If she didn't want to let me see my son then I'd just have to take him. It's not like she can report me anyway. But how would I do it?I have to think this through. I can't just walk up to the house and take him. He doesn't know me.  He doesn't know who I am. I can't just appear in front of him and announce I'm his mother. For all I know Carmen told him she's his mother. He might not know anything about me at all. I sighed. This was so frustrating.

I stayed in bed for an an entire day thinking about how I could get close to my own son. The only solution I could come up with is to plead with Carmen once again. We had an agreement! How dare she try to break it now? I won't stand for it.

On the fourth day I turned up at her door again. This time I was sure Jordan would be home.

"You can't keep him from me," I screamed at her. "He's my son! Do you know who his father is? He's not safe here. I need to take him back with me."

"Lo siento. Lo siento mucho."

"I'm begging you. Let me meet him. Tell him I'm his mother.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't you dare close the door! Carmen! Carmen!"

Once again I was kept from seeing my son. I was on the brink of desperation at this point. She was pushing me to do something stupid. She was pushing me to do something very stupid.

That entire weekend I stayed inside and thought long and hard. By the time Monday morning came around I'd made a decision and as I stood outside of Jordan's school far enough away so that no one would see me, I saw my beautiful little boy up close for the first time in six years.

"Hola Jordan. Soy Mia. Your mother sent me to get you."

"Hola," he said shyly. His dark brown eyes looked at me with curiosity but I had made up my mind. He was mine and I was taking him far away from this place and out of the reach of his father.

"How about some ice cream?"

"Sí."

"Ok."

We walked hand in hand and I couldn't remember  the last time I was this happy, but I felt worried. It was too easy for me, a complete stranger, to get him to come with me. That thought was quite concerning.