5. Thou shall indulge

Mia
The casino was amazing. Marc Paxton definitely knew how to do business. I'd give the devil that.

I'm sure he knows how to do other things too.

My subconscious has been doing that all night. Whenever I thought about him in a completely platonic way my mind would twist it or imply something totally filthy. It was driving me crazy. He was driving me crazy. His presence was driving me crazy. I'm grateful he decided to keep his distance tonight. As a result of his absence, I was able to thoroughly enjoy trying my hand at the tables. It was quite fun. I'd even drawn a crowd.

"Can I buy you a drink?"

"I can get my own, thanks."

I wasn't here to fraternize with anyone. I was thoroughly enjoying myself and I didn't want anyone to stop that.

I moved from table to table spending almost all of my savings. I knew I was being irresponsible considering I needed money and needed to save but I was already in too deep. I'd won some and lost some. That's life I guess.

"Don't you think you've had enough?"

I shivered at his closeness. I didn't need to look to know it was him. I knew his scent and I could pick his voice out of a lineup blindfolded.

"Go away. I'm not working. This is my free time. I could report you for harassment."

"But you won't."

"But I won't."

He smiled and sat down placing a cocktail in front of me.

"No thank you."

"There's no alcohol in it."

I eyed him.

He stared back innocently. What was he up to?

"What do you want?"

"Nothing. I'm just being nice."

"You're not nice."

"That's just what you think sweetheart. Others might have a different opinion."

"Right."

I ignored him for the rest of the time until he eventually got up and I was able to breathe a little.

Or so I thought.

"Boyfriend?"

"I don't think that's any of your business."

The stranger sat down. I was too focused on the slot machine to look at him, whoever he was.

I was doing poorly on the slots. It was rather frustrating.

"You always had the worst luck Mia."

My arm froze. How did I not recognize the voice before? How could I have been so oblivious to his presence? He'd been sitting beside me for over fifteen minutes. How could I have been so stupid?

"Iain. What are you doing here?"

I hadn't seen him in about six months. I thought I'd finally gotten rid of him. How did he find me here? I didn't use credit cards. I always pay in cash and try to avoid everything that requires using a credit card.

"Purely coincidence."

I didn't buy that for a second.

"I see. Well it was lovely seeing you Iain. I have to go. My boyfriend is waiting for me."

I got to my feet quickly and prepared to get the hell out of there and out of this country. Iain being here is not good at all. It's not good for my psyche. My eyes scanned the casino quickly, nervously. I knew he sensed my nervousness. I couldn't do anything about that.