15. Things get complicated

Mia

A month later...

Marc had gone back to New York after ensuring I was well taken care of. It has been a month and my son and I were getting along really well. Marc had obviously paid Carmen off. No surprise there. She took the money without hesitating. I don't blame her though. I don't think anyone in their right mind would have refused the amount that she received. Carmen and her husband had explained everything to Jordan and he seemed okay with it. He was quite mature for a six year old. I enjoyed learning about him, about his favorite food and favorite things to do. He liked drawing and he wasn't bad at it at all. He definitely didn't get that from me. I can't draw to save my life. However, my son was quite good at it and I encouraged him to do it as much as he can. For the entire month here we've only communicated in Spanish. It was the language he was comfortable with and I wanted him to be comfortable.

One night after getting him ice cream, I sat him down and broached the topic of moving to New York. I wanted to know if he was okay with it.

"Jordan."

"Si."

"Que opinas de Nueva York?"

"Nueva York?"

I smiled. "Si. Nueva York."

"No hablo ingles."

I laughed. Maybe it was too soon, but I was worried about staying in Colombia. He isn't safe here.

"That nice man you met is from Nueva York."

"Pero el habla espanol."

"Si. He does speak Spanish. He speaks many languages. You can too. If we go to New York you can learn to speak many languages too."

"No. Me gusta el espanol."

I sighed. Persuading him might be difficult but I wouldn't give up.

My phone rang interrupting us so I didn't get a chance to respond to his last statement. There was only one person that would be calling me.

"Mr. Paxton."

"Ms. St.Patrick. How are things going?"

"Good. I enjoy spending time with him. He's adorable."

"That he is. I have good news. His passport is ready."

"That is good news but I'm not so sure he is ready."

"What do you mean?"

"I asked him what he thought of New York and his response was he doesn't speak English, only Spanish."

Marc chuckled on the other end of the phone.

"Mia, he's six. You can't ask a six year old who has never been outside of his hometown that question."

"I wanted to know what he thought about it."

"He's six."

"Thank you Mr. Obvious." Even though I couldn't see his face I could tell he was smirking at me. I don't know what to do."

"Do you want me to come out there?"

I didn't respond right away.

"Mia?"

"No. I'm fine."

"Just tell him you're going on a trip and we'll figure out the rest when you get here."

I rolled my eyes. He was always like this. Do now. Think later. I don't know how he's survived this long in the business world. Actually I do. He was brilliant. I'd give him that.