11. What you're up against

Mia
"Thanks for letting me stay here, Stef."

"No worries. I'll always help out a friend. So, you and Paxton?"

"There is no me and Paxton."

"You moved in with him."

"He bought my building and forced me to move in with him. It wasn't voluntary. Doesn't matter. So are you two a thing?"

What was with all the questions? I thought she didn't care.

"We're not."

"Hmm...well that's good I guess."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well he is a womanizer."

"I'm well aware."

"And he does have a kid."

"That didn't stop you from sleeping with him."

I didn't like Stef's tone. She's the one that told me to sleep with him in the first place, not that she's the reason I did, but still.

"As I've said before I didn't know who he was when I slept with him."

Right. Like anyone would believe that. I'd stay here only for the amount of time it took to sort out somewhere else to live, then I'd be gone. I'm so tired of it all. How did I end up here again? I'm tired of all the lies. I'm tired of pretending. I'm tired of carrying this secret around. It's been six years. When will things get better? It's like no matter how much I try I can never escape this life.

Should I just leave it all and go back to that place where noone knows me, where I can live without fear and restrictions? Should I just go back there?

I shook my head.

No.

I can't. I need more time. I'm not there yet.

Why don't you just tell Paxton?

I frowned at the intruding thought. I don't need him. I can do this on my own.

Yes you do and no you can't.

My frown deepened. I do not need his help! I will do it in my own. I've been managing thus far.

I needed to clear my head so I told Stef I was going for a walk. Hopefully the fresh air will help clear my head.

"I'm going for a walk."

"Don't get lost."

"I won't," I replied dryly.

I was truly grateful for Stef's help, but I couldn't be around her right now. She's just a reminder of how much of a dirt bag Paxton is. I can't believe he slept with her.

I walked around for an hour before I decided to take a break and sit at a little cafe. It wasn't too crowded, which was surprising, but welcomed.

What am I going to do? I knew I shouldn't have given up my apartment. I went against my better judgment because the d!ck was good. Stupid Mia! Nothing good ever comes from being caught up with d!ck. Nothing! Just look at the crazy ex-wife. It's been years and she still isn't able to get over him. It must be the d!ck. There is no other explanation.

After about two hours I made my way back to Stef's. By the time I got there I'd rejected four calls from Paxton. I wasn't in the mood. I needed to figure out what to do with my life now. I couldn't go back, but after that humiliating experience. There was no way I'd go back.

Maybe it was time to check my savings.

I wish I hadn't because after five years of living in crappy apartments and pinching every penny I only had $182,516 in my account. I felt defeated. That was nothing! What am I going to do? I couldn't ask Mona for help because I've been lying to her all this time. It would be unfair to her.