Chapter 15

"Hey, Serena?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I take you on another date tonight?"

"Movie night please!"

Serena laughed as she walked to her dorm with Clemont. Their hands were clasped together.

It had been a week since Serena first asked Clemont out. A week since their amazing first date. A week since their first kiss.

A week of avoiding Ash.

Serena liked Clemont. He was sweet and kind. He may have traded his jumpsuit for hoodies, but he was still smart and creative. In the one week of dates, he had helped bring up her Pokémon health grade. He had also been delivering flowers to her dorm every morning via his Luxray which made Serena swoon.

Misty and Leaf had also been supportive in her attempt to avoid Ash. They hadn't brought up him up in conversations and whenever Misty went out, she always said she was going out with her guys. Serena knew Ash was now a part of her guys but appreciated how Misty and Leaf tried.

Still...

Even with all that support, it still hurt to think about him.

"Stay over tonight. We can pop in some Disney movies and snuggle," Serena said as she walked a bit closer to Clemont.

"Ok, sure. I don't have any homework this weekend."

Serena got out her keys and opened her room door.

"Hey, Serena, wait up!"

Serena turned around. Ash was jogging down the hall towards them.

Serena was frozen. She didn't know what to do. She thought she was ready but she wasn't.

Clemont squeezed her hand and she remembered to breathe.

"Uh, hey. W-What're you doing here?"

She mentally cursed herself for stuttering.

"Misty is coming over tonight. We're hanging out with the guys."

"Oh, cool! Have fun!" Serena turned back to her room, eager to go inside and watch some cute movies.

"Oh, wait! I also actually wanted to talk to you about, um, last week."

Serena felt a shiver run through her body.

"Oh, don't worry about that! It was nothing!" She said, not looking back at him.

She started pulling Clemont into her room when Ash reached for her other hand.

"Wait, come on, Serena! I know you've been avoiding me. Can we just talk about this?"

Serena looked back at him and she melted. She was right.

She was still in love with him.

"Clemont, can you wait for me inside?" Serena asked, still looking at Ash.

"Are you sure..." Clemont said.

Serena heard the concern in his voice and glanced over. She nodded and he smiled softly  before letting go of her hand.

The door closed and Serena's eyes flashed to the floor.

The design in the carpet is cool. How did I not see this before? Are those little X's? How cute. I should get new bows for Fennekin-

"Serena? Are you listening?"

Serena gazed up at Ash. She felt herself fall into her old habit of studying his features and quickly waved it away.

"Um, can you repeat what you were saying?"

"I was just saying that I'm flattered that you...like me...but I value our friendship. I really like hanging out with you so hopefully we can stay friends?"

Serena's breathing became rapid and rugged and she felt a familiar pain in her heart.

She knew this was eventually gonna happen and that she'd have to accept being friends and move on.

Could she?

"Ash!"

Serena and Ash looked over and saw Misty walking over to them.

Misty stood beside Ash and looked at her with guilty eyes, "Oh Arceus, I'm so sorry, Serena. I didn't think-"

"It's fine, Misty."

Serena glanced back at Ash and stared at him coldly.

"I loved you, Ash. I don't know if I still do or not. Clemont...Clemont is amazing. I know I love him so I thought I was over you. But a few minutes ago, my heart just stopped. Even now, it hurts looking at you and at her and at you guys being happy...together. So yea. I think I still love you...and I don't think I'll ever stop loving you. Does anyone ever really get over their first love? So no. I don't think we can stay friends. See you later."

And with that, she went inside her room and shut the door, but not before breaking down in a week's worth of pain.