Chapter 1: Let The Games Begin

Please share, vote, and comment if you like it.

--------------------------------------------   

          Slowly, I fluttered my eyes open, trying to adjust to the yellow light shining from the street lamp. Looking around, I found myself laying against a brick wall, next to a stinky dumpster. The constant pounding in my head was killing me to the point I could barely see clearly.

          "What the hell?" I whispered to myself as I shut my eyes and held my aching head in my hands. Through the gaps between my fingers, I noticed blood lathered on my inner thighs. My face grew pale as realization hit me in the face. Tears stinging in my eyes, sobs broke through me. "No, no, nooooooooo!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. "This can't be happening. Oh God, no."

          Hot tears continued to stream down my face mixing with the mascara that stung my eyes. I needed to calm myself down and look for Sophie. Crying was not going to help right now. Going home and crawling into my safe space was what I needed desperately.

          I pulled myself up and dusted the dirt off. Picking up a rag from beside the dumpster, I cleaned the half dried blood that boiled my blood, reminding me of how stupid and vulnerable I was. Making my way back into the club, I spotted Sophie frantically typing away in her phone. Her worried, slightly angered eyes shot up at me when she noticed me walking towards her.

          "Where the fuck have you been? I've been looking for you for the past hour," she spat. Looking me up and down, her eyes widened in fear. "What happened?" She asked, her voice shaking with distress.

          "I want to go home right now. Please." I managed to say between my whimpers.

          Grabbing my hand, she pulled me out of the club and rushed towards her car that was parked down the street without any further questions. As soon as we sat in, she asked, "Are you going to tell me what happened? You're scaring me."

I just shook my head no. I didn't want to talk about what just happened. I didn't want to talk about how scared I was. I didn't want to talk at all. She started the car and drove towards my house.

The entire car ride was a painful one, the recent event playing over and over again like a broken tape. The feeling was inexplainable. I felt many emotions rushing through me. Fear, disgust, sadness, loathe, anger, hate. It was all there. This was the worst birthday ever.

          Before I knew it, we were back in Queens and in my driveway. I got out quickly and ran towards the door. I swung it open and closed it slowly trying to make as little noise as possible. I didn't want to wake Aunt Wendy up. I skipped up the stairs and made it to my room.

          Closing the door, I stood with my back against it. A long held breath ripped through my throat as I slowly melted to the ground sobbing. "Why me? Why did it have to be me?" It started out as a normal day with me just skipping a class and hanging out with my best friend. This was supposed to be a good day, not the worst day of my life. I continued to sob making my way to my comfortable bed. Before I knew it, I fell into a deep slumber and I wished I didn't wake up again.

***

          Consistent knocking on the door woke me up. "Morning, mermaid!" Aunt Wendy opened the door with her left hand behind her back. "Since you came home late last night, " she took out a small box from behind her, "here's your birthday gift." A gift wrapped box was placed on the bed next to me. I got up and leaned against the headboard. "And I guess you're wearing the outfit from last night. Is it Sophie's? Must have been one bad hangover," she chuckled. She cupped my cheeks in her soft warm hand. "Have you been crying?" Her eyes scanned over my puffy, red ones.