Chapter 11: Deal?

Please share and vote ❤️

-------------------------------------------

          "Hey Aunt Wendy!" I spoke into the phone.

          "Oh God, mermaid. You had me worried sick. Why didn't you tell me that you were going out?" She demanded in a firm, yet motherly tone.

          "Well, I forgot my phone at home. Sorry."

          "Jesus, Arie. I just want to know where you were, nothing more. You had me really scared until Mike told me that you were out with Leo and got wasted. That's a first."

          "Yeah. I didn't know certain events would take place, but they did and I got hammered," I lied through my teeth like a professional and I didn't like it one bit.

          "So, what did you do?" She asked curiously and giggled like a school girl.

          "Quit giggling like that. Nothing happened. I wasn't drunk enough for him to do anything."

          "But, did you do anything?"

          "Oh God. I didn't do anything. He didn't do anything. We both did nothing. And that's the end of it."

          "Okay, okay. Can't blame me for being curious."

          "What about you? How was your night?" I asked curiously, anticipating something good.

          "Well, it was a wonderful night. We went to a fancy restaurant then to the movies. We actually saw Justice League," she started laughing. "Justice freaking league. He's more of a Marvel fan though, but we still watched it together and he liked it. And before you ask if anything happened, nothing did. It was just a pleasant night."

          "Not even a kiss?"

          "Not on the lips. He gave me a little peck on my cheeks. It was actually really cute. And I also received a "Good morning sweetheart" text from him today. He's making the butterflies in my belly explode, Arie. It's crazy. I've never felt like this. If he keeps up this chivalry, I might go crazy."

          "It sounds lovely. I'm so happy for you," I awed and smiled wide even though I knew she couldn't see me.

The surge of happiness that coursed through my veins made me giddy all over. This woman that I held dear to my heart deserved every happiness that came her way. She even made me forget about what happened last night and all the information I was bombarded with today. I wished I could stay like this with her forever, but I knew I had to get back to reality which was with me sitting in a mafia leader's bed while he was showering and someone out there trying to kill me. I couldn't tell her this. She could never know.

          She had always been so proud of me and Ashton ever since we got full rides to Columbia University. I got it for academics and Ashton got it for sports. We were both good and worked hard in our distinctive fields. Aunt Wendy was off the roof when she heard about this. She always made us smile which I love her for. Even though she held us together, she couldn't hold herself. She barely picked up her own broken pieces and put them together with a glue that wasn't strong enough. I knew the death of her beloved mother-like sister was killing her inside, but she never showed her pain, instead she made us laugh till our bellies hurt. Late in the nights, I could hear faint cries escaping her room and it continued for a few months after our parents' death. The loss hit her hard, but she was strong through it all for us and we were extremely lucky to have such a woman as our aunt, best friend, sister, and mother in one.