Chapter 20: Coffee

"What's this about?" Astor asked as he took a sip of his morning coffee.

          "I need you to do me a favor." I leaned back in my comfy chair.

          "What kind of favor?" He cocked his brow at me, resting his cup on my glass desk for a second to give me his complete attention.

          "It's not regarding business, it's about a girl." I propped my elbows on the same table and interlocked my fingers in front of my face, giving him a stern look.

          "Don't you have plenty of girls in your other business. Pick anyone you want. I know you have multiple varieties," he scoffed, taking another sip of his coffee.

          "I'm not talking about escorts," I sighed, "I'm talking about a particular girl who has a target on her back because of you."

          "Many girls do," he laughed menacingly, making a nerve twitch in my body. He was beginning to test my patience and it was taking everything in me to not lash out at this man who hurt Arie and broke her sanity, but I had to hold back for Belle. I needed the entire story. "Which one in particular are you talking about?"

          "Arie Noelle, the one you're constantly trying to kill." His face dropped the cockiness at the mere mention her name and adapted a stolid expression. "That's right," I gritted my teeth together, "I know exactly what you did."

          "How?" He scowled at me as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

          "That's for me to know and you to figure out." I stood up and walked around the desk towards the sweaty man. "I just need you to call off your useless henchmen and leave her alone." I loomed over him, staring into his green eyes.

          "And why should I?" He mounted up from his seat, inclining with my height and challenging me like the idiotic imbecile he was.

          "Because I said so and I'm asking you as a friend, even though I should kill you after what you did."

          "But she's going to the police about it," he tried to justify his pathetic behavior.

          "What did you expect?" I snorted at his foolishness. "You should have thought about it before you raped her." My teeth clenched together in anger. Was he actually this stupid to not have thought about the possibility of her going to the police? He has always been a good businessman and a smart one too, but making a mistake like that was pretty ignorant and reckless on his part.

          "I didn't know she'd go babbling shit to the cops." He nudged my arm and walked past me, looking out the glass wall and over the magnificent city. "They shouldn't have found any DNA on her even if she went to a doctor. I used a fucking condom. If I just killed her that night then I wouldn't be having these problems now."

          "You're not killing her or ever going near her," I roared, my hands shaking as a wave of rage took over me. Looking away, I tried to compose my temper because if I lost it, it wouldn't end well for anyone and I needed things to go as planned.

          "What does this have to do with you?" He turned around, staring me down. "Why do you care about that girl?"

          "I made a promise to protect her. I don't want to keep killing your assassins again and again, and then finally kill you," I seethed.

          "And you keep your promises." He mumbled and sneered looking down, shaking his head. "They were my good ones."