Chapter 9

"Lord Takeda, have you managed to ascertain any reliable facts about the Gai-Jin woman?"

They sat in a picturesque pavilion, situated on a bank of the lake in Lord Matsuda's gardens. The roof protected them from the sun and a breeze from the lake cooled the air. It was quite pleasant.

For a brief moment Lord Takeda managed to forget the topic of their conversation and enjoyed the beauty around him. Lord Matsuda's gardens were truly magnificent. Now only the host's voice managed to bring him back to attention.

"She was extremely reticent." He confessed. "She naturally guessed that I was trying to extract information and very skillfully avoided telling me anything. She only mentioned that she'd lived in Japan for some time. But nothing more."

"This seems strange. Who would dare to defy Sakoku?"

Takeda only shrugged.

"You must talk more!" Matsuda insisted. "We still have time before the Shōgun's people arrive."

"I have to confess, I will greatly enjoy that." Lord Takeda admitted, surprising himself at being so open. "She is a very intelligent woman. Maybe too intelligent." He mused.

"You suspect her to be a spy?"

"Who knows? With Gai-Jin everything is possible."

"Perhaps you should stay even for the talks? If there is any threat..."

"You know very well, I can't stay. If Tokugawa's Council starts suspecting that I have any interest in politics, it could be very dangerous for my family."

"I understand your position, old friend." Matsuda stroked his chin. "But there is still time. We must make sure she is not dangerous."

The Lords finished their tea in silence and soon parted. Both wanted to prepare for the evening meeting with Gai-Jin.