Chapter 59

Soon after their encounter with bandits at the lodge Lord Takeda approved of the planned marriage between Kazuki and Sumiko. Anna insisted that they hold a small celebratory feast to wish the new couple happiness and prosperity. It wasn't a Japanese tradition to fête the servants, but the Lord agreed to please her.

Overnight Sumiko's status changed from that of a maid to the samurai's wife and her Lady's companion. And although she was not required to serve anymore, she held it as a point of honour to assist Lady Ana and make sure that she was always comfortable.

Her union with Kazuki soon proved to be fruitful and just before the New Year she announced that she was expecting a child.

Anna was very happy for them. For a long time Kazuki was her friend and now, when she got to know Sumiko better, she befriended her as well. However, one niggling thought had been troubling her for some time. She wouldn't admit it to anybody, but Sumiko guessed what was on her Lady's mind.

"I think she worries that she wouldn't be able to have any more children." Sumiko confided in her husband. "She is, of course, happy for us, but... she can't help but be jealous."

"Do you think she might be right?" Kazuki's face was very serious.

"Who can say? But it's been some time and she is not pregnant."

"Maybe she doesn't want a child?" He ventured.

"Do you really believe that?" Sumiko was doubtful. "I remember how she grieved for the baby she had lost. She is not Japanese and she thinks about those things differently."

"How many foreigners do you know?" Kazuki smiled indulgently at his wife.

"Only one. But I know her well. She does not hide her thoughts or feelings from others. And I can see she is sad."

"If she is unable to conceive, there's nothing we can do... Do you want me to talk to her?" He offered.

Sumiko gasped at this outrageous suggestion, but after a moment's consideration she had to admit it wasn't such a bad idea. Kazuki could talk to her about things nobody else could. "You are friends." She admitted with awe. "Perhaps she needs to talk about it to someone? But please be gentle."

Kazuki just nodded. He was happy to see the affection his wife had for Lady Ana. And had to agree with Lord Takeda: anybody who got to know Lottie got to love her.

*

Although Lottie hid it very well, Hikaru also noticed her pensiveness. And guessed the reason behind it. "My love, do not torment yourself with fruitless speculation. There is no benefit in asking 'why?'. Our destiny reveals itself in many different ways. If that's not to be..." He didn't finish.

"I know, but... I treasured the thought I would always have a part of you with me."

"Now you have me." He smiled.

They sat at the lakeside, in a pavilion surrounded on all sides with fresh snow. The New Year was gone and soon it would be spring. The days were growing lighter and longer. Soon it would be the time to go to Kyōto.

"I guess, it is better this way." She picked up after a long pause, still gazing at the water sparkling in the sun. "I can devote my life to protecting you and your son."

"Lottie..." He tried to stop her, but she shook her head.

"No, that's all right." She smiled with sadness, but without bitterness. "I should not forget that I am a foreigner. Our union will cause you enough trouble as it is. A child would only compromise you further."

"Lottie, please don't talk like that." He gently took her hand in his. "I love you and I will not renounce that feeling. If we can't have children... that's fate. But I will always love you and honour you as my soulmate and a friend. Nothing will ever come between us. And no one!" He assured solemnly.

*

The opportunity to talk to Anna presented itself the very next day, when they found themselves alone in the dōjō. Nabutada assisted Lord Takeda with some local dispute and Lady Mariko declared that she wasn't feeling well. They were sparring, using the wooden practice swords.

"Why, Kazuki, I believe you are getting fatter and slower!" She laughed, landing a nice cut to his side. "Obviously married life suits you well."

"True." He agreed with a mock sadness. "But that's only because Sumiko feels bad for eating so much. I must eat more to convince her that she's got a normal appetite."

"A true gentleman." She laughed.

"What is a 'gentleman'?" He asked with curiosity.

"It is a man who treats others, but predominantly women, with curtesy and respect, always putting their needs first." Lottie explained.

"Oh, then I am a gentleman." He announced with seriousness. "Putting their needs first, can a gentleman ask questions of a friend?"

"Of course." She tried to sneak another attack.

"Sumiko frets." He stopped for a moment, looking straight into Anna's eyes.

She also stopped moving, suddenly serious and concerned about her friend. "Is everything all right? Is she afraid of childbirth?"

"No. She frets about you." He held her gaze.

"Why would she?" Anna tried to avoid it, but there was no point in pretending that she didn't understand that look on his face.

"Ana-San," He bowed with respect. "We went through a lot together. You know you can trust me. I want to help."

"Kazuki, there is nothing to worry about." She assured with calmness. "I do not resent her for having a baby. I am happy for both of you. If I can't have children, that's my fate... I am happy here. I am respected and loved. I feel needed. I will serve my Lord with my last breath and perhaps I can do it better without children."

"But you would like to have a child?"

"Of course." She smiled. "I would be happy to give my Lord another son, but... it's complicated."

Kazuki just nodded. Japan was hard on foreigners.

"So, will you tell Sumiko to stop worrying?" She asked, raising her weapon again.

His only answer was an attack.