Chapter 77

The household felt empty and desperately sad with grief. So many had died...

Mariko sat motionless, watching tirelessly over her patient. She was exhausted, as she had not closed her eyes even for a moment for the past two days. But she wouldn't let anybody watch over her charge. She had promised her brother. She was rocking slightly, tiredness overcoming her resolve to stay awake, when she heard a gentle intake of breath and her attention was on her patient again. "Don't try to speak." Mariko shuffled closer. "I will give you some water." She proceeded to delicately moisten the lips of the helpless figure. "You are quite safe." She continued, seeing disoriented eyes roaming the room. "Sleep now." She stroked the furrowed brow.

The doctor, who arrived soon after to check up on the patient, shook his head in astonishment. "I can't believe this. It's the luckiest escape I have ever seen. Surviving this kind of wound is... simply unbelievable. Extraordinary."

*

It took another few awakenings and a few more days before things started making any sense. Lottie felt so tired and weak. She couldn't even lift her head. The room seemed empty and... foreign. Was she dead?... No, everything hurt... What had happened?

All she could remember was the ambush and the subsequent fight, side by side with Hikaru. And then... pain. After that everything lost its contours and grew dark. Through the ringing in her ears she could hear someone shouting in pain... Was it her?

She lay there motionless, trying to make sense of things, trying to understand. Then she heard some rustle, but couldn't move to check the source of the noise. Only after a few minutes she realised it was somebody raising from the bed in the corner of the room. With surprise she recognised Sumiko.

The girl noticed that Anna was awake and hurried to her side. "My Lady!" She exclaimed.

Anna tried to speak, but she was unable to make a sound.

Sumiko summoned a servant and ordered her to bring the doctor and Lady Mariko immediately. Then she knelt next to her patient and moistened her lips. "My Lady, I can help you up a little. Would you like me to try? You will be able to drink."

Anna only nodded, almost imperceptibly. But Sumiko noticed. She delicately lifted her Lady's head and held a bowl to her lips. Anna choked, but managed to swallow some and her dry throat was able to produce a harsh sound. "What... has... happened?"

But further conversation was interrupted by arrival of Mariko who was accompanied by the physician. Mushiso examined the wound carefully and declared that now nothing should threatened Anna's life. She must only rest and eat to regain her strength. After he took his leave, Sumiko bowed and also left, leaving Mariko in charge of the patient.

"Haru?" Anna managed to whisper.

"My nephew is fine. He constantly asks about you and I'm sure he will visit you soon." Mariko smiled.

"Lord... Takeda?" There was urgency in Lottie's voice.

From her expression Mariko gathered that Anna didn't know about the outcome of the battle. "My brother is alive and well. But only thanks to you." She bowed so low that her head touched the floor. "Please accept my deepest thanks."

Lottie closed her eyes, sighing with relief. He was alive. "Where..." She didn't manage the full sentence, her dry throat making her cough. Mariko helped her to drink a little and waited for her to regain breath. "Where... are we?"

"In the household of Lord Takeda's old retainer, where you'd told us to go."

"My Lord?"

"It broke his heart, but my brother was forced to leave us here. As soon as he was assured that you would live he went away to gather our forces in order to avenge this outrageous attack."

Anna's eyes closed and she didn't hear anything more...

When she woke again, it was Haru who was sitting next to her. "My Lady Ana!" He was delighted to see her awake.

"My Lord."

"Oh, please, do not even try to move. My Lady Aunt will scold me if I allow that." He laughed happily. But then he grew serious. "My Lady, I am eternally grateful to you for saving my father's life." He bowed to the ground. "What you did was very brave."

Again, her eyes refused to stay open and she fell asleep...

When she woke again, it must have been the next day and Mariko was again sitting with her. Noticing that Anna was awake, she moved a little closer. "Ana-San, are you hungry? Thirsty?"

Anna nodded to the latter.

After drinking again some of the doctor's bitter concoction she was able to speak a little. "Mariko-San, what has happened?"

"You saved my brother's life. The ambush was orchestrated by Saitō Matsuishi. Hikaru gathered our forces and went to punish his treachery."

Anna started mumbling under her breath. Only after a while she realised she was using English. "It's too dangerous!" She switched to Japanese. "Too big a risk!"

"The Emperor himself was told of the attack and he ordered Saitō to stand before him to answer for his actions. We have finally got the proof it was him all along. My brother is well protected." She added reassuringly. But Anna wasn't convinced. After a long pause Mariko spoke again with seriousness. "Ana-San, from the very beginning I considered you as my rival. I resented your presence and the influence you had on my brother. I was unwilling to believe in your devotion to him. Had I known..." She seemed to have been lost for words. "Had I known he entrusted you with the symbol of his power..." She stumbled again. "Yet, you had never used it. But what you did that day... Such bravery and such sacrifice... I don't think I would be able to do it. I see now how wrongly I judged you and how justified my brother is in loving you. Please accept my humblest apology." Once again she bowed very low. "I will endeavour to honour you with my every thought."

In her voice Anna heard an honest remorse for the cold treatment Mariko had given her. "My Lady," She still wasn't strong enough to rise, but she forced herself up on the elbow a little. "I have never wished to take your position as the head of your household. I only wish to serve our Lord... in whichever way he deems appropriate."

"He truly loves you." Mariko spoke in awe, as if she had never suspected it possible. "I'm told he wept on the battlefield, thinking you dead. You are samurai and the Emperor's valued advisor. And if my brother wishes to marry you I will be happy."

It was too much for Anna to take all at once. She fell back on her bed and closed her eyes. He wept?... She couldn't believe that.

Mariko assumed that she had fallen asleep again, but then Lottie spoke again. "Mariko-San, can we... become friends?" She whispered.

"Hai."