Chapter 48

They were enjoying the conversation, when the door suddenly slid open and Lord Takeda himself walked in. He was surprised to find Anna here, sitting so close to Kazuki that he was effectively leaning on her.

"I came to check on Kazuki, but I can see he has a better company and is well tended."

"My Lord." All bowed, although Kazuki only with his head.

"Please continue." The Lord sat down next to the door, watching them, with his face in a slightly forced expression.

Kazuki's face was covered in sweat. His injuries severe, he was still very weak and even the simple activity of drinking exhausted him.

Anna delicately dried his face. She was so gentle and tender that Hikaru felt a sudden stab of jealousy. He was ashamed of himself, but that feeling was stronger than his will.

What if they... Went through his mind. He dismissed the idea immediately, but the hint of uneasiness remained.

"Ana-San, I wish to talk to you." He announced unexpectedly, rising.

"Of course, My Lord." She bowed. "Sumiko, please make sure that Kazuki-San is comfortable and doesn't need anything else."

"Yes, My Lady."

Anna followed the Lord outside. They went along the corridor and after a few moments they stepped onto the veranda.

She inhaled deeply, looking at the well tended walkways leading to the gardens. "This place is so beautiful."

"Are you feeling well enough for a walk?" He asked gruffly, not looking at her.

"A few hours ago you didn't seem to be so worried about my strength." She smiled mischievously, but he did not reciprocate. "Is something wrong, My Lord?" She became alert.

"No." He started walking along the path leading towards the trees. "When I saw you with Kazuki..." He stopped and faced her. His gaze was very serious and his brows were drawn, but she had a vague feeling he was uncomfortable.

"Sumiko likes him. I just wanted to be nice."

"I know, my love." He took Anna's hand and kissed it gently. "But when I saw you so close to him... I felt jealousy. Until now I haven't realised I could be so possessive. I have now discovered I can't let you go, because I would be lost without you."

"My Lord, I felt the same thinking about your other women." She confessed, very embarrassed.

"There are no other women!" He looked her straight in the eye. "Since my wife died I did bed some. But they were just... a release. I did not love them and I didn't want to keep them." Anna understood this about the Japanese culture and accepted it. After all it had happened before they met. "Now I can't stand a thought of separating from you for even a day." He continued.

She smiled happily. "I am very pleased to hear that, My Lord." What woman wouldn't want to hear that?

"Good. Tonight I would like to celebrate your arrival and my son's safety." He changed the subject. "I wish you to appear in clothes befitting your position. Will you chose an appropriate kimono or shall I do it myself?" He smiled, his mood lifted.

"My Lord, I am still only an insignificant member of your household and shouldn't pretend I am something that I'm not." She stressed, still mindful of his status.

"You are most certainly not insignificant." He disagreed. "And I hope to convince you of that very soon." His dark eyes sparkled. "Let's go! I see that I have to attend to it myself."

He led her to a big room where the most valuable kimonos must have been stored, carefully wrapped in paper and put neatly in boxes. Without much regard or care he was pulling one box after another, looking inside and from time to time offering a garment to Anna, to try on. They were all exceedingly beautiful and richly decorated and Anna declined all in turn.