Chapter 18

By the afternoon Anna felt ravenous.

"My Lord, if you don't feed me this instant, I might start nibbling on your ear." She laughed, demonstrating the possible ramifications.

He laughed at that. For the first time in a very long time he felt absolutely happy and carefree.

"We can't have that." He got up, put on his kimono and left the room to give orders.

"There is one thing that surprises me." She said, on his return. "You have disappeared for many hours and nobody thought to check if you were all right. I could have murdered you!"

"I assure you, My Lady, that what they could hear didn't bring to mind the sounds made by a murdered man." He stated with a very serious expression.

Unexpectedly, she blushed deeply, which amused him even more.

"You are so beautiful!" He was going to kiss her again, but at that moment there was a discreet knock at the door.

Lord Takeda collected the tray with food and served Anna himself.
He requested that they speak in English and asked her about her life in America. He didn't insist on learning her secrets, but was genuinely curious, how she learned to use her guns so efficiently.

She told him then about her uncle who took her in, when she had nobody else to turn to, and who taught her many useful skills. She also revealed the reason which forced her to come to Japan.

"If I didn't leave America, they would have hung me for killing my uncle. Like I could had ever done that. He was the only family I had left..."

"How about your father's family?"

"I have never met them. From what I gather they were unhappy with his chosen lifestyle. He was supposed to take over the family estates, but he decided to travel instead. And they didn't approve of my mother..."

He listened, without interrupting, marvelling at the strength she would have had to summon to overcome so many tragedies in her life. But he let it drop for the moment...

After their meal he ordered the bathing house to be prepared.
"Will you deem it very inappropriate, if I suggest taking a bath together? Your body still dazzles me."

She just smiled with pleasure and nodded her assent.
Nobody dared to interrupt them.

They were both satisfied and pleasurably tired, so they only enjoyed this shared experience and continued talking. The Lord was telling her about his life in the north and about plans for his son's future.

"Do you have any more children, My Lord?"

"I have two older daughters, who also live with my wife's family. I don't see them very often... But please, don't address me so officially. I have asked you to call me Hikaru."

"Yes, but it is not so easy." She whispered with sudden shyness.

"I like the sound of my name from your lips." He smiled warmly.

"I will try." She promised.

"Where are your parents now?" He asked, realising then that she had not mentioned them even once so far.

"They are both dead... They are all dead... I am now completely alone." Her eyes started to fill with tears again.

"You are not alone!" He took her face in both his hands and lifted it, forcing her to look up. He kissed away the fresh tears. "No matter what will happen in the future, you can always rely on me. I will do anything you ask for."

"Anything?" Her eyebrow shot up in a mocking surprise. "After one shared morning?"

"No!" He answered with passion. "After you saved my life and made me happy... even if it can only be for a short time. I will never forget either."