Chapter 60

Spring arrived in a blaze of beautiful cherry blossoms. They swayed gently in the breeze, scenting the air with their sweet fragrance. Delicate pink blossoms covered the trees as far as the eye could see, climbing up the mountain towards the monastery.

Regardless of the change in seasons Anna continued to train with the swords and visited her father almost daily. He spoke to his daughter about her mother and about their life before she was born. He told her also about his aristocratic family in Norway. "If you ever leave Japan, I want you to find them and tell them what really happened to me." He asked of her. "I would like them to know."

"Of course, father."

"But if your future lies in here, I will die happy in the knowledge that you have found your place on earth."

"Pappi!" She was shocked that he spoke of death.

"My child, I am not a young man any more. What will be will be."

Coming back from the monastery in a pensive mood, Anna chanced upon Nabutada and Mariko, talking in the courtyard. There was nothing unusual about it, because Mariko still frequented their sparring sessions. But what caught Anna's attention was the superficiality of the situation. Mariko was asking about some particular cut or parry and Nabutada answered with details. Both behaved as if it was the most natural thing in the world, but their body language told a different story, showing plainly that neither was really interested in fighting techniques. She was smiling, paying too much attention to Nabutada's face. He was trying to control his voice, but stumbled a few times, as if forgetting what he was saying.

It dawned on Anna that this behaviour wasn't something new. 'How is it that I haven't noticed it before?!' She thought.

Kazuki was waiting for her beside the stables. She caught an amused grin on his face. "How long have you known?" She asked, standing next to him.

"Since your eventful trip to the lodge."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"It's not my secret to tell." He shrugged.

"But Lord Takeda must be told. Do you think he knows?"

"No." The insolent grin reappeared on Kazuki's face. "His eyes are only for you."

She just shook her head and walked away.

*

Despite the change in seasons and spring sunshine warming the air during daytime, the nights were still quite chilly. Anna was grateful for Hikaru's embrace and the warmth of his body next to hers. She woke up a while ago, but endeavoured not to move, not wanting to disturb her Lord's sleep. It was a good opportunity to think about how she should broach the subject of Mariko and Nabutada's feelings. She wasn't quite sure how Hikaru would react to the news. Perhaps he already had plans for his sister's future?

"What are you plotting now?" He murmured unexpectedly, kissing her neck.

"My Lord, I thought you were still asleep..." She stopped speaking as a new thought occurred to her. "How did you know I was thinking anything at all?"

"I know you." She couldn't see him, but the tone of his voice told her he was smiling. "You are always thinking. So, what is it this time?" He nuzzled her naked shoulder, sending shivers of pleasure up and down her spine.

She hesitated briefly. "I was just considering the progress Lady Mariko made training with us. How old is she now?"

"Seventeen." She could hear curiosity in his voice. Clearly, he tried to work out where all this was leading.

"Have you ever thought about her future?" She asked innocently, but he guessed there was more to it.

"Lottie," He rolled her to face him. "What are you not telling me?" His brows furrowed slightly. "Did she offend you in any way? Do you want to send her away?"

"No, My Lord." She assured. She was not prepared for this train of thought and didn't know how to respond to it. "Lady Mariko treats me, as always, with politeness and hospitality."

"But not with friendship?" It was more of a statement than a question.

"I am treated as well as I could wish..."

He stopped her by putting his finger across her lips. "It is one of my regrets that she is unable to see past your status of Gai-Jin. But now tell me, what troubles you?"

"Oh, it's nothing, My Lord. It was just idle wondering. I was merely curious if you had planned her marriage?" She looked at him with a hint of apprehension.

"You do want to send her away!" His brows furrowed while he tried to work out what was behind all those questions.

"No, My Lord."

"So tell me what this is about."

"Have you looked at your sister recently? She has become a beautiful woman."

"Are you trying to tell me that someone from my household dared to raise their eyes on her?" His features became sharp and his face took an indignant expression. "Who?!"

"My Lord, I do not wish to offend you, but... would you oppose it, if it was mutual?"

"What?!" He suddenly sat up, pulling the cover from her in the process. The cold air made her shiver, but she ignored it. She rose and knelt facing him.

"My Lord," She took his hand in hers and looked into his eyes. "Please, forgive me, but..." She suddenly didn't know how to continue.

However, as always, he read her mind. "What you are afraid to say is that, after choosing you as my companion, I should not deny my sister the same right." His voice softened.

She just smiled at him.

Although she tried to suppress her shivering, he realised she was cold and hugged her closely to his body. "Lottie, please, tell me what you know. Did she tell you anything?"

"No. I have realised the truth seeing her talking to somebody."

He thought about it for a moment. "It has to be one of my samurai. She would have never chosen anybody of a low status." He mused. "It must be somebody she spends the time with. Not Kazuki, because he loves his new wife. Is it Nabutada?" He looked questioningly at Lottie.

She was once again surprised at how accurate his reasoning was. When she didn't reply, he got his answer, but he did not comment on it in any way.

"My Lord, what are you going to do?" She asked after a lengthy pause.

"I will think about it."

"My Lord... Hikaru..." She started, but he cut her off.

"Do not worry, my love. You did the right thing by bringing it to my attention. I will talk to Mariko and decide accordingly. Your concern for her future and happiness is a credit to you." He smiled and buried his face in her long hair, breathing deeply her scent.

Yes, he would consider his sister's future. But taking into account her own wishes. His relationship with Lottie brought him a happiness he could not have imagined and taught him to look deeper into people's hearts, to judge them by their merits and not by status. He would not condemn his only sister to a life of unhappiness if she had chosen someone already.

Once again he marveled at an impact Lottie had on his life. She simply made him a better man.