Chapter 34

The rest of the trip passed without any problems. They spoke rarely and only about the best route to choose that day. Kazuki seemed to know this part of the country quite well and when she told him the name of the village that was their destination, he knew of it.

Finally, after more than a week of hard walking, they arrived at the village of Katagami, which had been her home for nearly ten years.

The house of her adoptive parents was situated away from the main village, about half an hour walking.

With heart thumping in her chest, she walked slowly towards her home. What if they are gone?! The thought flashed through her mind.

But no. Even from this distance she could see fishing nets drying in the sun. And two people bent over something, working.

"Haha... Otōsan..." She whispered, barely able to make any sound, choking on her words, as they approached.

The old couple couldn't have heard it, but instinctively must have felt someone's presence, because they looked up and both rose at the same moment, abandoning their work. With the experience of many years they judged the strangers to be socially above them and both fell to the ground in a low bow.

"Haha... Otōsan..." Anna repeated a little louder, using the endearments she had used when she was a child. "It's me... Lottie."

They raised their heads in surprise, but when Anna took off her hat, they recognised her in an instant. She ran towards them and helped them get up. And then she bowed deeply to them.

"My child..." The elderly woman embraced her. She couldn't stop repeating: "My child... My Lottie..."

When both had their turn in hugging their 'girl' and finally were able to believe it was really her, they registered there was also a man there. Standing patiently to the side. Waiting to be acknowledged.

"I am Kazuki, in service of Lord Takeda." He announced with pride. "I have been charged with protecting Lady Ana."

His tone spoke clearly of his status and both of Anna's carers fell to their knees again. But Anna rushed to help them up.

"Kazuki-San is here on a mission and you should not let anybody guess his true identity! Please treat him just as a guest."

"If you allow me to stay, I will help with the chores in return for your hospitality." He said calmly.

Her adoptive parents couldn't believe their own eyes and ears. It was all so strange and unexpected. Anna asked them to go inside, where she would be able to explain everything in peace.

Kazuki stayed outside. She watched him briefly through a window. For a moment he stood there, erect and proud as if on parade. But after a while he put aside his staff, sat down on a low stool and took up the net the old couple had been repairing. To her great surprise, Kazuki picked up where they had left it and continued repairs, as if he had never done anything else in his life.

She shook her head in astonishment and returned to her parents. The story she was telling was very long and she stopped after a while. The women prepared a modest meal and brewed tea. Then Anna went outside.

Kazuki was still sitting in the same spot, working.

Seeing her approach, he rose and bowed. "My Lady, I considered our situation. The most suitable and probable explanation for our presence here would be to say that we are married. I am a small merchant and we came to visit your distant relatives. Of course, it is only a ruse to satisfy the curious villagers." He added.