Chapter 76

Lottie's bad feeling turned out to be justified. It was an ambush. More than a hundred of Saitō's men had appeared as if from thin air and descended from the higher ground with one thought only - to kill every one of the entrapped Takeda samurai. The ensuing battle was fast and bloody - Takeda's men were outnumbered nearly three to one; the enemy was prepared, clad in full battle armour while his samurai were mostly dressed for horse riding. Yet, they were determined not to forfeit their lives and allow Saitō's men an easy victory.

Lord Takeda stood bravely among his men. They all knew they were doomed, but fought desperately to take with them as many of the enemy as they could. The clang of crossing swords and the screams of pain and anger were deafening.

Among the carnage the Lord paused for a split second to survey the battlefield. Only a handful of his samurai were still standing. The rest had fought valiantly and fell only due to the overwhelming force of the attackers. Flanked by Nabutada on one side and Kazuki on the other, he still stood his ground. But in that split second he realised it was the end. He would die here. Without ever seeing Lottie or his son again. He was not afraid to die. He had been taught that the way of the warrior was resolute acceptance of death... At least his family was safe. He calmly accepted his fate. There were simply too many attackers surrounding them. Many had already fallen, but there were still enough to finish off the diminishing forces of Lord Takeda.

Over the din of the battle he heard the sound of galloping horses and his heart sunk. There was truly no hope now. Not with reinforcements coming for Saitō's men.

He concentrated once again on the opponent in front of him and dispatched him in few fluid cuts. Another charged at him with his sword raised. Takeda stepped to the left, parried the blow and with a seemingly imperceptible motion brought down his already bloody sword, in the same move removing his attacker's hands at the wrists and the head from his shoulders.

Then he saw a face he recognised. Strutting towards him was Kagawa, one of Saitō's most trusted henchmen. He was grinning with malice and triumph. He knew there was no way Takeda could survive this encounter. It was a perfect trap.

"My Lord Saitō ordered me to finally get rid of you." Kagawa spat with venom. "It will be my true pleasure to fulfil that order. But before you die, know that your son will be next and I will view with pleasure your rotting heads hanging together from the battlements. Your sister will be allowed to commit sepuku... after we take our pleasure, and my Lord will marry one of your daughters. Your domain will become his. But the witch..." He paused, savouring the thought. "The witch will be given as a plaything to the soldiers to use until she regrets ever setting foot in Japan." He enjoyed torturing his enemy. "We'll see if she is really any better than a common Japanese whore..."

Takeda stopped listening. The cavalry he had heard coming just a few moments ago appeared from the mist as if by magic. And they were flying his own banners. The tall warrior riding at the front wore his own helmet and breastplate. The riders who followed spread out to flank the enemy. The shouts: 'Takeda! Takeda!' came from all sides.

The Lord looked to Kazuki, as if seeking confirmation that it was not a vision. Kazuki grinned in reply and dropped to the ground. Assuming the southern accent of Saitō's men, he yelled, somehow projecting his voice over the din of the battlefield. "We were tricked into a trap!" He managed to sound terrified. "The real Lord Takeda has come to finish us off!"

Saitō's men paused, confused. They had been fighting Takeda's men. But now there was ANOTHER Lord Takeda riding against them, wearing his helmet and armour. How could that be?

For an instant even Kagawa was stunned. But he quickly shook it off. He KNEW that the man standing before him was the real Lord Takeda. He lifted his sword for a killing blow, but he didn't manage to bring it down. There was a deafening noise, like a thunder clap, and Kagawa's head exploded in a spray of blood and brain matter.

"Protect the Lord!" Anna cried; a smoking gun in her raised hand. Her voice rose above the sudden lull over the field and Takeda samurai responded with their battle cry.

The horses moved into the fray. Anna forced Kaze into the crowd, where her Lord stood, proudly erect, with his two bloody swords raised defiantly. She fired a few more shots and quickly holstered her guns. She drew her sword and jumped of the horse, impaling one of the enemies in the process.

The advantage was now on Takeda's side. With their commander dead and confusion spreading like fire amongst Saitō's men, there was no doubt who would prevail.

Takeda choked with emotions which prevented him from speaking. He only nodded to Anna and, standing side by side, they continued to fight.

Lottie's extensive training over the past year was showing now in her quick and graceful cuts. She moved with speed and agility nearly defying human abilities. In her helmet and grotesque mask she seemed to be a demon out of Hell and the soldiers facing her all fell back, fearing the swords that were spreading panic and death around her.

Finally, there was no one left to fight. The battle was won. The only people left standing were perhaps two dozens of Lord Takeda's men and one woman. The cry of victory rose above the field.

"My Lord," Anna bowed, her dry throat making it sound like a croak.

Hikaru looked into her eyes. They were both exhausted and filthy, drenched in sweat and sprayed with blood, but they smiled at each other. They linked arms in a gesture of camaraderie and embraced in celebration. Anna allowed herself to lean into him, battling her tiredness.

But at that precious moment she became aware of movement behind her Lord. Looking over Takeda's shoulder she saw a man lifting his arm. He was holding a crossbow. His eyes were mad with pain and hatred, but they were focused with deadly determination.

With one hand still holding a sword and the other linked with Takeda's arm, Anna had no other choice. In the same movement she dropped her sword, drew the gun and fired from the hip, then spun the Lord around, shielding him with her body.

Arrow and bullet crossed in mid-air.

The bullet hit the man between those mad eyes, killing him instantly. The arrow struck with a thump between Anna's shoulder blades. Her eyes went wide with shock. She tried to support herself on Hikaru's arm, but then her legs gave up and she slumped in his arms.

"Lottie..." He whispered with desperation. "No..." He dropped his own sword and tried to hold her up, but with a moan she fell to the ground.

"Haru..." She mumbled.

"Don't try to speak. Get the doctor!" He yelled at his people.

"Haru... is... safe..." She managed, taking shallow breaths. It hurt.

"Lottie..." It was all he could muster.

"I... love... you..." Her voice trailed away. Then her eyes flickered and closed. She felt limp in his arms.

"No..." He couldn't believe it. "No!" His face blanched with shock. He didn't care that his men saw tears falling from his eyes. He cradled her body in his arms, rocking in spasms of grief. "My love..." He sobbed. "Please, don't leave me..."