Chapter 22

Soon after Geisha had arrived, Lord Takeda had received information that a man, who claimed to be one of his servants, was requesting to see him urgently. He had been a little surprised, but nevertheless, after whispering an explanation to Lord Matsuda, he had slipped away from his seat and followed a servant to the back of the house, away from the bustle of the banquet. Half way there he stopped and ordered the servant to return to the hall and fetch Ana-San.

The back veranda was silent and abandoned. He tensed, suddenly alarmed by the long shadows and the secluded spot. Surreptitiously he put his hand on the hilt of his sword, but soon relaxed, recognising the silhouette of a man waiting for him in the garden.

"I could get used to living like that." Kazuki said a little wistfully, turning to his Lord.

"Why are you here?" Lord Takeda was not prepared to discuss the merits of being an aristocrat.

"My Lord, I have some news that couldn't wait. My people acquired information that there was going to be another attack. Tonight."

"How reliable is that news?"

"I would say, most likely."

"On our way back?"

"Yes, my Lord."

"How many?"

"I am not sure, but any more than fifteen or twenty would have drawn too much attention beforehand."

"Send a message to Nabutada. He is to prepare my men and position them hidden in wait along our route. Tell him that only after we are attacked are they to engage. We need to take prisoners. We need to know who pays them."

"Yes, my Lord." Kazuki bowed and fell silent, seeing Anna approaching.

She was surprised to see Lord Takeda in this secluded place. And talking to some shadowy figure. "My Lord." She bowed. "How can I be of service?"

"Ana-San." He addressed her formally. "Please stay here, while I talk to Lord Matsuda. My man," He pointed to Kazuki, who was still standing in the shadows. "Will make sure you are safe here."

"Yes, My Lord." She bowed.

As the Lord disappeared, Anna tried to get a glimpse of his servant. She had never seen him before, but he must have been trustworthy. She stepped to the edge of the veranda, to gaze once more at the garden. It was beautiful.

Although still in the shadows himself, Kazuki could clearly see her face. Illuminated by the moonlight and with a dreamy expression on her face, she looked very alluring. It was easy to see why his Lord was enchanted.

His train of thought was disrupted suddenly by Lord Takeda's return.

"You may go now!" The Lord dismissed him with a gesture.

"Yes, my Lord." Kazuki bowed again and left to execute his orders.

For a long time Lord Takeda stood there in silence, considering something with concentration. She didn't disturb him, trusting him completely by now. Finally, he turned to Anna. His face was serious, but he tried to look at ease. "I do not believe that your companions will be needing any more of your help tonight." He smiled. "After so much saké with Geisha, and later, with some more female company, they will surely manage for themselves."