Chapter 32

Morrison woke up with a massive headache. He looked around, not recognising the place he was in. It looked like one of the rooms at the inn, but why would he be here?!

He was lying on the bare floor, still in his full uniform from the previous night. As he tried to get up, a stab of pain and a feeling of nausea stopped him in his tracks. He fell back to the floor, trying to control his vertigo. Gingerly he touched his head and felt a big lump at the back, covered in some already crusted blood. He attempted to get up again, this time with more caution. A dull pain in his groin brought back the memories of the previous night in an instant.

He remember the feast, the conversation with Anna, her resistance and disdain and then his own anger. And then... her attack on him and later a blow to the back of his head. Somebody attacked him!... But who?!...

With a groan he stood up and went staggering to the door. He opened it and stepped outside. The corridor was empty. Still feeling a little weak, he went towards the rooms occupied by the Americans.

"Commander Morrison!" Somebody shouted behind him. "Where have you been?!"

Morrison winced at the loud noise. Turning around he recognised Captain Norton coming to him in haste.

"Commodore Perry is livid!" Norton was very agitated and wouldn't let him speak. "They have been looking for you the whole morning! He is intent on leaving you behind and charging you with desertion!"

"What?!" Morrison's fuddled brain had serious trouble following all that.

"Commodore Perry is about to set sail and leave you here to face the consequences!" Norton repeated, a little slower. "What has happened to you?"

"I have been attacked!..."

"There is no time for that now!" Norton interrupted. "You need to get to your ship as soon as possible!" He grabbed Morrison's arm and pulled him outside.

Still confused and sore, the Commander followed him without protests.

They were going to the port, where a small rowing boat was visible, obviously waiting to take him to the ship.

"But I have been attacked!" The fresh air had cleared Morrison's head a little. "I am sure she was involved in that!"

"Sir," Norton stopped and faced the Commander. "I will not prevent you from lodging a complaint with the local lord, if it's something you need to do. But if you don't get on that ship now, you will be left behind! And from what I hear, Perry is not the one to tolerate or easily forgive a lack of discipline."

The latter, more than anything else, convinced Morrison. He nodded and quickly boarded the waiting rowing boat.

"Captain, please make sure you report the attack on me!" He shouted from the water. "We can't let it go!"

"Of course, Commander."

Norton let out a sigh of relief. He didn't feel guilty for lying to Morrison. Well, it wasn't strictly lying. The truth was that Perry was looking for his officer, but with concern for him rather than anger. But by the time they would understand Norton's little deception, the ships will be leaving the port and it will be too late to do anything about it.

Besides, Norton couldn't feel any warm feeling for a man who would attack a woman... Who attacked Anna! The Captain believed every word she had told him about Morrison's behaviour.

And if there was a hell to pay later, so be it!...