Chapter 24

When Anna woke up in the morning and found Hikaru gone, she suspected he was engaged with the interrogation of the prisoners and that she would not see him for a while. She decided to take a bath and have a massage. After that she felt much better, although tired.

When she returned to her rooms, she took out her guns and cleaned them once again, just to make sure they were in order. She also packed all her possessions, ready to go. She knew that she would have to return now to the inn and again share the accommodation with her companions.

She would also have to say goodbye to Lord Takeda. He couldn't stay any longer, while she was obliged to remain. She came here to do a specific job and she would honour her commitments. No matter what her personal feelings were... But she felt deep sadness thinking that she would never see him again.

Well, she had always known that life wasn't fair! She shrugged inwardly.

She thought again about her adoptive parents. She would work with them to lessen for them the burdens of old age. And when they finally passed away, she would return to England, where she could try and make a living for herself. How, she didn't know. But there must be something she could do. For the first time she also thought that perhaps she should try to find her father's relatives. Not because of their money, but just to feel she still had some family.

The afternoon meal was brought to her, but she wasn't hungry and she didn't even touch it.

She lay down and tried to rest...

*

Lord Takeda's arrival in the late afternoon woke her from a rather unpleasant dream featuring Commander Morrison.

Hikaru was very tired. She could see it clearly in his drawn face. "My Lord, please sit down." She insisted. "Can I offer you some food?"

"Thank you, Lottie. I had nothing the whole day."

She offered him her untouched meal and called for saké to be brought.

He was looking at her with tenderness. "I have already forgotten the pleasures of married life. It is such an indulgence to come home to someone who would care for my comforts."

Without a word she handed him a bowl with saké, which he drained in one go.

She looked at him with worried eyes. "My Lord, have you learned anything from the prisoners?"

"None of them said a word." He didn't feel guilty, lying to her. Although, strictly speaking he was saying the truth. "All of them will be punished as common criminals."

"So we still don't know who sent them?"

"I have some suspicions. But let us not talk about it now." He rose. "Would you take a bath with me?"

"As you wish, My Lord." She bowed and followed him to the bath house.

She helped him undress and gently washed him. With her every touch he relaxed in body and mind.

"I wish I didn't have to go." He said suddenly.

"I know."

"I wish..."

"Shhhh..." She stopped him, putting her finger on his lips. "I am grateful that we met, My Lord... Hikaru, let us not regret the shortness of time, but be grateful for any time at all."

"Hai." He agreed.

They moved to the pool, where she sat behind him and tried to massage his stiff neck. He submitted to her ministrations with a sigh of contentment.