Chapter 44

Despite the internal turmoil, Anna must have fallen asleep immediately after Lord Takeda's departure. She woke up to brilliant sunshine and a freshness in the air, that reminded her of the time when her uncle had sent her on a survival trail in the Rockies.

Must have needed my beauty sleep! She murmured to herself in English, feeling much better.

She didn't speak loudly, but someone must have been listening, because there was a gentle knock on the screen door.

"My Lady, may I come in?" A quiet voice asked from the corridor.

"Yes." She replied, surprised.

The door opened soundlessly and a young woman entered the room on her knees. A few others stayed kneeling outside.

"My Lady, my name is Sumiko. I am honoured to serve you as your personal maid." She spoke softly and bowed low, almost touching the floor with her forehead.

Anna was a little overwhelmed by that and only after a while did she realise she should allow her to rise.

"May I be of any service, My Lady?" Sumiko was looking at Gai-Jin with curiosity.

"Hmmm... I need a bath and new clothes." Anna wrinkled her nose, thinking of how she must smell.

"Everything is ready, My Lady."

"Thank you." Anna inclined her head slightly and tried to get up, but her legs seemed to have trouble supporting her weight.

"May I help you, My Lady?" Sumiko offered her hand.

"Thank you, but I think I can manage."

Anna gritted her teeth and stood up, supporting herself briefly on Sumiko's shoulder. She followed her new maid to the bathhouse, where the servants helped her to undress and wash. They washed her regrowing hair and dressed her in a fresh kimono. She was then led into an adjacent room, where Mushiso was waiting to attend to her.

He was confident that the wound had already started to heal. When he was finished, in a quiet voice he advised her to chew on a ginger sliver to prevent further sickness.

Anna bowed to him in thanks, grateful for his care.

After the doctor's departure she was offered a light meal and tea. Mindful of Mushiso's advice, she asked Sumiko for a bit of ginger to 'settle her stomach'. The maid did not comment on it, sending immediately one of the serving girls to the kitchens to accommodate her Lady's wishes.

Having some food and tea made her feel much better.

After the meal she was taken to yet another room, which must have been a walk-in wardrobe. There were expensive kimonos everywhere, spread out on low tables and packed neatly in boxes. Kimonos that each cost probably more than the income from the village where Anna had grown up. She looked at them in awe for a long time, just admiring the beauty of embroidery and the variety of colours. They would definitely attract attention to anybody wearing them.

But she didn't want to attract any attention!

Eventually she selected the least ostentatious. She allowed the servants to dress her, to tie her wide obi and to arrange her hair.

Sumiko observed Gai-Jin with surprise. Left to choose any kimono she wanted, she would have chosen the most expensive. But the foreigner did exactly the opposite. Sumiko wondered why.

"I would like to know how is Kazuki-San. Could you find that out for me, please?"

"Of course." Sumiko bowed. She was shocked at being spoken to in such a humble way, as if they were equals at least. "Mariko-Sama would also like to ensure that you are comfortable and do not require anything." She continued.

"Oh, can we go to her now? I would like to thank her for the hospitality."

Sumiko was really surprised. This Gai-Jin had good manners and she didn't think herself better than the women serving her. She was polite and unpretentious.

Lady Mariko was just finishing her morning meal, when her guest was announced. It was a little too early for visits, but mindful of her brother wishes and aware that the foreigners were oblivious of the etiquette, she invited Anna to join her.

"My Lady, thank you, but I am not hungry." Her guest bowed. "I wished to thank you for your care and courtesy. I realise that my arrival must have disturbed your peace and for that I beg your forgiveness. My intention is to return south as soon as I am well enough to travel. I will retire to my room and you should not feel obliged to keep me company..." Her voice trailed away under the scrutiny of those dark eyes. Mariko's gaze was very much like her brother's: thoughtful and penetrating.

Mariko was silent for a while, surprised by the humility of her guest.

"Ana-San." She replied evenly, bowing in turn. "Your presence is always welcome here. I must feel friendship for someone who saved my brother's life. You are a highly esteemed guest of Lord Takeda and as such you will be treated in his house with all courtesy..."

Her speech was suddenly interrupted by a loud exclamation from a boy who had just rushed into the room. But he stopped in his tracks, surprised to see a stranger.

Before anyone reacted to his appearance, Anna guessed it must have been Lord Takeda's son. "My Lord." She bowed to the ground, surprising both the boy and Mariko.

But he smiled, happy to receive a show of such respect. "My Lady Aunt. My Lady." He bowed in turn to both women. Then he turned to Anna and spoke with gravity. "I am Takeda Haru."

"I am honoured to meet you, My Lord." She rose from her bow. "My name is Anna."

"Ana..." He repeated, just like his father had done hearing her name for the first time.

"Haru, Ana-San is a guest of Lord Takeda." Mariko explained, in case the boy made any impolite reference to her being a foreigner.

'Haru' Anna thought. Spring or Sunlight... A good name for the boy who was the future of the clan.

"Ana-San." He bowed. "Please, join us. My Lady Aunt promised me a picnic by the lake." He was brimming with energy and couldn't contain his excitement.

"It will be my pleasure, My Lord." Anna bowed again, smiling happily.

*

The servants quickly prepared a place for the picnic, scattering cushions and bringing many little treats for the boy. It was apparent he was loved here. But how not to love such a polite and happy child?

The party sat down, talking pleasantly. Anna was asking Haru about his life with the family of his mother and the schooling he was receiving. He answered at length and was very eager to demonstrate his skills.

"I have been training hard with my bokken" He announced proudly. "Would you like to see?"

"With pleasure, My Lord."

A servant was sent to fetch two wooden swords used commonly for practice and Haru picked one, executing a routine of cuts and parries, he had recently learned. Anna observed him with a smile. The boy was graceful and all his movements were balanced and confident. With continued training he would become a formidable warrior.

When he finished and bowed, Anna picked up the other bokken and advanced. "Let us now see, how brave you are when facing a vicious monster?" She laughed, trying to arrange her face in a scary grimace.

Haru burst out laughing, seeing her shuffling gait and hearing her growling noises...