Chapter 78

Anna was recovering fast and soon she was allowed to sit in the sun on the veranda. She was never left alone for long and she greatly enjoyed these moments of tranquility. She was mostly joined by Sumiko, who took it upon herself to serve her Lady personally.

"Why are you here?" Anna asked one day.

"Lord Takeda returned home to gather his armies and he instructed the household to come here to serve his family and care for the injured. My place is here, with you, My Lady." She bowed.

"Sumiko," Anna hesitated, not wishing to distress the girl, but she needed to ask. "What about your baby?"

"She is fine."

"Thank God! I was afraid something went wrong when we had no news." Sumiko didn't answer. "What is it?"

"It's just a girl." Sumiko shrugged. "Nothing to celebrate."

"Why do you say that? Did Kazuki tell you he was unhappy?"

"No, he seems to be content, but..."

"There are no 'buts'! You have a little girl. You are fortunate. Is she healthy?"

"Yes."

"Pretty?"

"Very." For the first time Sumiko smiled.

"What's her name?"

"I waited for Kazuki to name her. He chose Chokichi."

"Good Fortune." Lottie smiled. "May she be truly fortunate."

"Thank you, My Lady."

"And remember this: girls can change the world!"

Sometimes Anna was also joined by Kazuki, who told her about the battle. "We were fighting to the death," He spoke quietly. "Convinced that nothing could save us, knowing well none of us would survive. And then we saw you, in our Lord's helmet and his armour." He smiled at the memory. "It confused Saitō's men and gave us a chance to get a second breath. What you did that day..." He stopped, unable to find words to express his admiration. "Ana-San, I am proud to be your samurai." He bowed. "In face of your courage Tomoe Gozen's story pales into insignificance."

*

When she felt strong enough they returned to Lord Takeda's residence, where everything once again followed its usual routine: Anna practiced sword fighting with the young Lord, she visited the monastery to spend time with her father and learned reading and writing in Japanese.

One day, during their sparring, Haru said to her. "When I saw you earlier in the garden, you looked like a dandelion." He laughed. "Your blond hair was blown around on the wind like the seeds from a dandelion." He explained, seeing her incomprehension. "May I call you Tanpopo now?"

"Yes, you may, My Lord."

"But what would my father say to that?"

"He would probably laugh." She smiled.

"But if you are going to become my Lady Mother, it would be unfitting." He reconsidered.

"Haru-Chan, I will never replace your mother!" She said with intensity. "You must remember that there is nothing stronger than the blood ties."

"But you risked your life so many times for us."

"Sometimes you meet people who will not hesitate to shed their blood for you, just because they love you. Then you will know your true friends."