An Explanation

"Damn it!" I shouted, backing away from Chara. The four clips were sprawled around on the floor. Alphys fumbled with her machine, trying to adjust it enough to save Frisk.

"Sans, listen to me."

"Why would I?! You tried to kill us all!"

"I'm doing this because of Frisk's promise," Chara whispered.

I was surprised. "What promise? The one she made an hour ago? You've been torturing her long before that!"

"The one she made all those years ago, when she first became good friends with you all. Remember that promise? I know you hate promises, but surely you remember her TRUE promise?"

Chara wandered around the room, looking for a decent weapon of some sort. Alphys intently watched her every movement, glancing at her mechanics before gazing at the demon again.

"You're hopeless, Sans. You can't even remember a simple promise like that. Yet you can remember the exact events in previous timelines. How are you so stupid?" She mocked.

"You know that I have only one hope point. I'm not hopeless," I retorted bitterly. "You stay out of mine and my friend's lives!"

Chara irritatingly snapped back toward me, pushing me against the wall. "Frisk promised each monster down here that she would break the barrier and that each of them would see the light of day. She promised that she would kill no monster. Well guess what? According to your nerdy, fat lizard over there, she would have to take a monster's soul to break the barrier. It would be impossible to fulfill her promise!"

I saw Alphys shrink back behind her machine, holding onto the side of her lab coat. I felt my eye heat up in its socket. Before I could reply, Chara continued.

"I can feel it. Being able to feel what Frisk feels. Deep down, she wants to go back to the surface. She misses her own family and surface friends. In order for her to leave with all of you, she'd have to kill one of you. And so, I am doing this to... spare... her of missing you weak things. She'll feel guilty about not helping you and she would become depressed over thinking of her surface life. I'm simply helping her out."

Frisk never told me how she felt about being down here, and whether she misses her family on the surface. She said she missed the nature but... I couldn't piece everything together at the moment. Chara stepped away from me and swayed slightly.

"Damn it, Frisk! To Hell with your soul, you stupid human!" Chara glared at me with empty, evil eyes, breathing heavily. "Listen, ketchup-brain, I don't care about Frisk, or anyone else. I'm just using her as a vessel. I'll be gone for a while, but expect me to be back. And expect me to be back with GENOCIDE in Frisk's mind. You can't stop what the future holds for this place."

Chara hunched over, convulsed, and collapsed on the floor. A weight in the lab room felt to be lifted and I stared at the lifeless body in front of me. Alphys stepped out from behind the machine.

"C-C-Chara's gone for now... S-Sans, are you okay?" She asked shyly.

"I'm fine. Are you okay?" I asked her, remembering Chara's insults.

"I-It d-didn't affect me t-too much. I'm fine," she replied, standing up as straight as she could, flicking her tail over Frisk. "Is SHE okay?"

I shrugged and kneeled down next to her. "Frisk? Hey Frisk! Are you there?"

Frisk's P.O.V

I woke to the sound of Sans calling my name. My senses jolted through me and I felt light-headed. I felt as if my limbs had been amputated. A blazing headache and a raging stomachache burned me inside out. I couldn't even speak.

"She's okay," Sans whispered to Alphys, who nodded and shut off a giant machine. Sans smiled at me and picked me up. "I'm taking her home, okay? I'll call Undyne and I'll get her to help you out and to keep you company."

Alphys smiled and began picking up each of the four clips. Sans walked out of the lab room. In the hallway, he held me tightly and made his way home using a shortcut. My head spun and I had a hard time walking.

"Shh, relax. We're home, we're home. I'll call Undyne about Alphys, and Toriel about you, okay?" Sans asked. I nodded and he took out his phone.

I walked up the stairs and whispered a greeting to Papyrus, who had just come out of his room. He patted me gently on my head and gave a cheerful smile. I smiled back and hugged him, burying my face into his costume. The darkness I saw was soothing. After we parted, I walked into Sans' room, paying attention to how messy it had gotten between the time we were at the lab and now.

"I ATTEMPTED TO REORGANIZE HIS ROOM, BUT HIS CRAZY TORNADO UNDID ALL OF MY HARD WORK. A FOURTH "P" THAT I WISH I HAD IS "PATIENCE," Papyrus explained.

I closed his door and crawled into his bed. Exhausted, I easily fell into a deep sleep.

~~~

The darkness of the forest was soothing and all of my pains vanished. I slowly walked through the trees and snow, relaxing and taking in the quiet atmosphere. I suddenly found myself walking in a black nothingness. Symbols flickered around my head.

Uoy rea koay wno, skirf. I am lgad to pleh uoy.
("You are okay now, Frisk. I am glad to help you.")

I shrugged, not understanding what these symbols meant. I waved into the darkness, instead, saying nothing.

Uoy illw plees ellw, hicld. hgtindoog.
("You will sleep well, child. Goodnight.")

And for the first time in a while, I slept without any negative factors in my dreams.