Control

"M-Muffet... I'm so sorry..." I whispered, taking a small scoop of dust from the little pile.

A deep voice made me jump and drop my knife. "What happened here?"

I turned my head and I saw Sans standing behind me. His white pupils in the darkness of his skull seemed to be filled with concern.

"S-Sans..." I mumbled, feeling the guilt and the pain surge through me. I didn't know Muffet too well, but we were friends, and I dusted her.

He looked at me, then at the dust in my hand, then at the knife. He was silent for what seemed like hours. "Who's dust is that?"

I stood up and gently let the dust in my hand fall back to the pile. I felt horrible. I tried to be evasive. "How did you find me...?"

"I felt an anomaly in the timeline. You saved?"

I nodded slowly. "I thought it would be best to save if-"

"Who's dust is that?" He repeated.

I sighed. "It's Muffet's..."

Sans' eyes grew dark. I couldn't say anything more. I gave him and the dust pile a last apologetic glance, and raced through the caverns. Sans didn't try to stop me.

The snowy air felt colder than usual against my face as I ran through Snowdin. Papyrus was standing outside of his house, going through Sans' junk mail.

Papyrus looked up as I approached the house. "HELLO, FRISK! HOW ARE-"

But I sprinted away before we could talk. The forest was just up ahead. I kept running through the trees and the bushes of sticks and branches, hoping to get away from any other monster. Killing someone felt horrible. I didn't want to do that to anyone else.

I soon stopped at a frozen lake in the middle of nowhere. I looked across the dark circle and saw a shadow on the other side. The green and yellow sweater shone brightly against the dark forest. It all made sense now.

Well, well, well, well, Frisk? It seems as if you've lost.

Sans' P.O.V

Frisk took off. Good. It'll give me a chance to bring this dust to Muffet's other spiders. I wish Frisk would reset now. At least up until her recent save. Then I would go with her on her walk and stop her from killing Muffet, maybe even bond with her more. I paced forward to search for her, but before I could do anything, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"E-Everything o-okay, Sans?"

I turned to face the little yellow lizard. She was trembling and the badass fish lady was beside her. "What happened here?!"

"Frisk killed Muffet, so I'm going after her to have her reset. Would you two find a way to get this dust to the other spiders?" I asked.

"Sure..." Alphys whispered as Undyne rested her hand on her shoulder.

I turned and shortcutted into Snowdin. Papyrus was going through my mail by the house.

"SANS! YOU JUST MISSED THE HUMAN! SHE RAN OFF INTO THE FOREST. SHE'S SUCH AN ACTIVE TEENAGER," he cheered.

I nodded a thanks and shortcutted again at the edge of the forest. Looking around, I couldn't see any clues showing me where she could've gone. I looked closer and saw a faint pathway of trampled bushes. I began racing through them.

After running for a while, I stopped to relax again. I heard screams coming from the woods; deeper still. I got up and began running again, listening to Frisk's calls. Soon, I came across a frozen lake. Frisk was standing at the edge of it, holding onto her head.

"Frisk? Are you okay?" I asked.

Her voice was intermingled with other painful screeches. "S-Sans! H-H-Help me!"

I paced toward her. "What happened to you?"

"I-It's Chara-" she began before jerking to the side and collapsing in the snow. "It's Chara..."

Frisk's P.O.V

I breathed heavily, trying to hold control over Chara's determination for my body. I never meant to kill Muffet... If this monster hadn't made me pick up the knife, Muffet would be safe. I reached and called out for help. I looked for an easy way to reset.

"What are you still fighting for Frisk? If you even drop your guard a tiny bit, your body and soul belong to me."

I argued with myself in the snow, trying to shake the thoughts of Chara from my head. I began to think of Sans. How he and I have defeated her before... We merged our souls.

"S-Sans.." I heard my voice aloud like a hundred voices. "Merge our souls..."

"What?!" He sounded bewildered. "I thought we would wait to do that again-"

"Just trust me... I love you, Sans," I urged.

His face grew soft and he exposed our souls.

"What are you doing? It won't work on me!" Chara shouted.

Sans gently pulled our souls together, but they didn't merge.