A Dangerous Path

I woke up to see a ceiling above me. My whole body was stiff and I longed to move every muscle.

"Hey, Frisk," Sans whispered. I slowly turned toward him. He was laying on his side, looking at me.

I opened my mouth to say hello back, but I couldn't. I couldn't speak.

"You okay, Frisk? You look worried."

'I can't talk, Sans! My voice is gone!' I wanted to say. I shook my head and I used my hands to charade writing. Sans seemed to understand and gave me a piece of paper and a pencil from his tornado.

I wrote, 'I can't talk at all. My voice is gone.' He nodded after reading it. "That explains it."

I "sighed" and lied back down on the bed, looking up at the ceiling again.

Sans shifted and rolled off the bed. I crawled over and saw him lying on the floor. I quickly wrote, 'Are you okay???'

"Heh, I'm fine, kid. I'll be downstairs with Papyrus, Muffet, and Undyne. We're planning on teaching Pap how to make toast," he chuckled, standing up and giving me a quick kiss on my forehead. He patted my hair and walked out of his room, closing the door behind him.

I climbed out of his bed and gazed out his window. The town was quite busy. I spotted a few monsters from the Core mixed in with the Snowdin residents. I looked over near the entrance to the Caverns; The Nice Cream Guy was talking with Burgerpants, each of them holding a Nice Cream. I smiled at their happiness.

You think it's all okay, don't you? I have something fun planned for today.

I whipped around, and suddenly, I could speak again. "What the hell do you want, Chara?!"

But no voice responded. The only sounds were the voices in the town below, and the laughter from the kitchen downstairs.

I felt tired. My vision was a black fog bordering my peripheral. I felt like I was going to pass out right then and there, but I walked out of Sans' room and down the stairs into the kitchen.

"HELLO, FRISK!" Papyrus exclaimed.
"Hey, kid," Sans greeted.
"Oh!~ Hello, my dear!~ Would you like a spider donut for breakfast?~" Muffet offered.

"Thank you, Muffet!" I said, gently taking the donut from her spare limb. I finished it quickly, feeling more energetic.

I was beginning to ask, 'May I have a drink of water?'... But it came out much differently than I thought.

"Where are the knives?"

The three monsters just froze, staring at me.

"SANS, DO YOU KNOW WHERE THEY ARE?" Papyrus asked, turning to face his brother.

"No, we don't have any knives here," Sans replied, glancing at his brother with concern. I could feel the anxiety and alarm race through him.

I felt small, like Muffet's spider-helpers. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean that... It wasn't me, guys. I was only about to ask for a cup of water..."

Papyrus smiled and grabbed a cup, filling it with water from the tap. As he did so, he hummed his battle theme. Muffet rolled her eight eyes.

Sans strolled over toward me. "Frisk..."

"I know, Sans. I don't know what to do about them."

"Chara can't control you forever. We'll get through this, okay?"

I nodded. Papyrus handed me the cup of water. "Thanks, Papy!"

"ANYTIME, HUMAN! THE GREAT PAPYRUS, NOW PERFECTING AT MAKING 'TOAST,' IS ALWAYS HERE TO HELP YOU!"