Chapter 1: Cookie Monster

During a nice summer day in New York City a young five year old boy with dark hair and blue eyes was hoping that some friend would move in next door to his house. This was little Joseph Anthony Gatto of Staten Island, New York. His father and mother admired his enthusiasm for a friend. "Will anybody move next door to us mommy." Joe stated hoping to hear a yes for an answer. "Yes, I hope so Joey." His mom answered. "Hopefully soon." Little Joey would occasionally check out the window everyday hoping to see a big moving truck next door. It had went on for about a week. Then it finally happened.

Joe had been watching some Sesame Street in the middle of the day when a moving truck appeared next door. Joe had watched outside hoping to see a young kid his age to be friends with. Joey had called out to his mom and dad to come and see outside. His mom at the time was taking a shower. Joe had motioned his dad to come and see. "Well your mom is gonna wanna make a good impression on them."

Joe looked again outside his heart felt like it was going to explode at what he saw. "Whoa..." was all he said looking at a young girl with (y/h/c), a light blue party dress with a cute picture of the Cookie Monster on the upper center part of her dress. She had beautiful (y/c/e) and a smile and a laugh that made little Joe's insides melt. Her dad had put her around his neck and they were heading inside to take a look around the place.

His dad had watched the scene and wondered about little Joey.

"You okay, looks like you might have found a friend and something else, too" Joe's dad said, looking at Joey and his constant stare outside with his mouth agape.

Little Joey wasn't listening to his dad. He was listening to the thumping of his chest and wondered what could have caused it. He thought and asked his dad about it. "Umm, daddy what's with this thumping inside me? Is something wrong with me? I never felt like this before so why now?" He said his hand over his heart.

His father picked up on it, little Joey had already got a crush on the little girl next door. "Well, Joey tell me... does the thumping get any faster?"

"Well, daddy I-"

"What did I miss, the new neighbors have finally came in." Joe's mom interrupted drying her hair off with the towel. "So, Joey see anyone to be friends with?" His mother asked looking outside. His dad motioned to his mom out of little Joeys sight, patting his chest and tilting his head at the little girl outside on her father's shoulders making a heart with his hands. His mother nodded and played along.

Joey looked back out the window and there she was again. His heart pounding in his chest even faster as a laugh had escaped the little girl. "Daddy it is happening again," he sighed looking at the girl again. "and she has a great laugh." he says dreamily.

"Well she looks really cute," Joes mom said. "Why don't you go over and introduce yourself to her. You have been waiting to see a friend move in next door for about a week already. Go on your dad will go with you. I am going to make a pie to welcome them to the neighborhood. You boys go ahead," she said going to the kitchen.

"Well, son are you ready to meet them? Maybe even you can help her out with her toys and boxes?"

Joe's face flushed red at the thought of being close and talking to her. 'What would he say? How would he introduce himself to you? What if he completely looks like a dummy in front of you?'

"Daddy, I don't think I can do that... I-" Joe started.

"Come on Joey you have been waiting for this for a week already, did you get struck by something?Come on let's go and introduce ourselves."

Joe held his dads hand outside and said "So you guys are our new neighbors?"

"Yep." the girls dad said.

Joe wasn't really paying any attention to their conversation he was busy looking at the girl that made that thumping go faster.

"This is my son, Joey." Was all he was able to hear his dad say.

"Well hello, Joey." Her dad said "how old are you?"

Joe put up a hand.

"Five that's great I have a daughter that age too. Hey (y/n) come over here and meet our new neighbors."

"Okay daddy." she said with a smile.

"This is Joe he is the same age as you, sweetheart."

"Hi Joe. I'm (y/n), she said politely with a smile on her face.

"H-hi, (y/n)," was all Joe was able to get out.

"I have got a ton of toys for us to play with once I get them unpacked." she said pointing to some small boxes labeled toys on the sidewalk.

"W-well I can help you with them if that's ok?" Joe said without thinking.

"Alright Joe." She said skipping to the boxes. Joe's dad motioned him to follow her. The five year old had his face flush red while he was out of her dads sight.

"Hey Joey, have you ever watched Sesame Street before?" she asked picking up a small box, heading towards her new home.

Joe's eyes lit up. "Yeah, I have I love that show." Joe answered picking up a box and walking to her house with it.

"Who is your favorite on Sesame Street?" she said on the porch of the house.

"I think my favorite would be Cookie Monster. He likes to eat cookies and he is pretty silly looking." Joe answered putting the box down inside the house.

"Cookie Monster is my favorite too. He is my favorite color." she said looking at him. "Come to think of it your eyes... she stares into his eyes. Joe feels like his insides are going melt right then and there. She cups his face, "are the same color as the Cookie Monster." She lets go of Joe's face. "Well Joey, you are now my first friend in this neighborhood, will you be my friend?" She asks. Joey nods and tries to get some words out but she heads on out for more boxes to place inside. Once he notices his dad has gone back home he runs back to his house, and closes the door. He sits down in front of the doorway and thinks to himself.

'Cookie Monster'

Joey gets up after a few moments and goes to the kitchen, and gently tugs on his mom's capris pants.

"Mommy can you bake me some cookies?" Joey asked.

"Sure sweetheart."