Chapter 22

(F/N) = Full name, not first name.

It was Quirrell.

"You!" gasped Harry.

"Me," Quirrell said coolly, "I've wondered seeing you Harry Potter and (F/N)Malfoy."

"But, I thought...Snape,"

"It was never Severus!" I interrupted.

"Severus does seem the type, isn't he? If you could listen to poor (F/N)."

"I'm sorry (Y/N)-"

"Who would suspect p-p-poor, st-stuttering P-Professor Quirrell?"

Harry couldn't take the truth. He took it further.

"But Snape tried to kill me!"

"No, He tried to kill you!" I pointed out.

" But someone eventually took me outside the stadium, breaking my contact with you. Another few seconds and I'd have got you off that broom. I'd have managed it before then if Snape hadn't been muttering a countercurse, trying to save you."

"Snape was trying to save me?"

"Of course." Quirrell said coolly.

"Why do you think he wanted to referee your next match? He was trying to make sure Quirrell never do it again."

"You're too nosy to live, Potter. Scurrying around the school on Halloween like that, for all I knew you'd seen me coming to look at what was guarding the Stone." Quirrell continued.

"You let the trolls in?"

"There was a troll?"

"Certainly. I have a special gift with trolls — you must have seen what I did to the one in the chamber back there? Unfortunately, while everyone else was running around looking for it, Snape, who already suspected me, went straight to the third floor to head me off — and not only did my troll fail to beat you to death, that three-headed dog didn't even manage to bite Snape's leg off properly."

"Now, wait quietly, Potter. I need to examine this interesting mirror."

Before I knew it, it's the Mirror of Erised.

"This mirror is the key to finding the Stone," Quirrell murmured, tapping his way around the frame. "Trust Dumbledore to come up with something like this . . . but he's in London . . . I'll be far away by the time he gets back. . . ."

How could I make him stop concentrating Mirror.

"I saw you and Snape in the forest-" Harry blurted out.

"Yes," said Quirrell idly, walking around the mirror to look at the back. "He was on to me by that time, trying to find out how far I'd got. He suspected me all along. Tried to frighten me — as though he could, when I had Lord Voldemort on my side. . . ."

Quirrell came back out from behind the mirror and stared hungrily into it.

"I see the Stone . . . I'm presenting it to my master . . . but where is it?"

I still have to find how Quirrell can get out of that Concentration with the Mirror.

"I don't understand . . . is the Stone inside the mirror? Should I break it?"

My heart is racing. My mind is thinking.

What I want more than anything else in the world at the moment, I thought,  is to find the Stone before Quirrell does. So if I look in the mirror, I should see myself finding it — which means I'll see where it's hidden! But how can I look without Quirrell realizing what I'm up to?