Chapter 18:

I woke up the morning of the race nervous. My stomach was churning the whole time throughout my shower. I am so nervous for this silly race and all its confusing conditions and little secrets. I got dressed into shorts and a tee shirt with flip flops. I grabbed my phone and walked down to the dining lounge for breakfast. I smiled as I spotted my brother sitting at a table.

I walked over to him and sat down. "Annibelles!!! Its so good to see your beautiful face!!"  he says and flings his arms around me in a hug.

"Its good to see you too Dyl."  I sit down in the seat next to him.

"Nervous?" he asks. I nodded.

"Yea. I can't believe that it is already race day. Have you worked out on how everything is going to work?" I say

"Sorta. It's really difficult you know. So as you know, this Grand Prix takes place over three days. On the first two days, I have flown Ruben here, and he will be on the podium if you place in the top 3. Then on the last day, if you place in the top 3, when they hand out the awards, you will go up and reveal yourself. Just prepare a speech. For you know, in case you have to explain a few things. Then when we go to the after parties after each race, you will be going as my plus one. Got it?" he says and rubs his thumbs on his forehead. I sigh, taking everything in.

"Okay, great. Sounds like you have sorted everything out. Wait... A speech?" I start then look at him. He smiles and nods. Typical.

"Now, just please be very careful where you change. And wear your helmet. You will be just fine!" he says and pats my back.

We finished our breakfast and we both stand up.

"Well my Annibelles, I will see you at the track, but you won't see me. I am so proud of you. Don't think about anyone or anything on that track and I am betting on you to win. Don't let me down." he pulls me into a bear hug and I can't breath. I laugh and put his back.

"Love you Dyl." I say and grab my handbag. He walks out the hotel and I walk up to my room.

~~~

It was time to leave for the race. I had been studying the clock for last half hour. I had put out all my racing gear into all its boxes. And I was ready to leave phyiscally, and mentally, well, lets just say my brain would rather try to climb Mount Everest in flip flops then let me leave, but I let my heart lead, and I'm out the door and sitting in a taxi. Acoording to most people, I am going watching the race.

So, the driver drives along at 2 miles an hour to get to the race. He has no urge to put his foot on the accelerator whatsoever. I wonder if he even knows what it is.

"Put your foot down please. I'm running late." I tell him, handing him a little extra cash. It may be bribbery, but My brother took the Ferrari.

He finally arrives, after driving at 4 miles an hour. At least its better than 2. Stupid optimism.

I race out the car grabbing everything out the trunk. I sprint across the parking and race to my dedicated room.

I literally start taking all my clothes off before I have even closed the door. At least no one was watching. I pull my shirt over my head.

"Those are some abs you have there." a voice behind me says. I jump and spin around. I look and see Jason staring at me. I laugh sheepishly.

"Yeah yeah whatever. Now get out!" I say and put him out the door. I shake my head.

I pull off my pants and slide into my racing uniform, I haul my racing boots on, and put my hair into a messy bun, and put the helmet on.

I walk to where all the garages are for all the cars.

"Ready Ruben?" someone asks.

"Yeah. A little nervous I guess." I say in a manly voice.

The person nods and pats my back.

"You'll be great!" they say and help me into my seat.

A guy holding a clipboard and wearing a headset walks in. "Race starts in fifteen." he nods. "Looks like everything is ready. But whether the driver is ready or not is another question. Now, please give Ruben some silence in order to mentally prepare himself for the race. 15 minutes everyone!" he says and walks out the garage looking down at his clipboard.

The room is silent. I rest my head against the back of the seat.

Okay Annabelle. This is it. Your big moment. Evrything that you have worked for come up to now. Proove everyone wrong. A girl can race in formula one. Especially this girl.

My heart feels like it is skipping beats and the butterflies in my stomach are for real. I rub my stomach, trying to get them to stop.

The garage door opens, and reveals the track. I am wheeled out by a lot of crew members and the crowd starts clapping. The car is put in position on the race track. All I can see are these cars in front of me.

The robot starts to turn from red to orange and then turns green. I press the accelerator down. Here's to everyone who under estimated me!

My car speeds into motion and I'm off. I ignore all the other cars, and continue at my greatest speed possible.

I lost my focus on all the silly happenings. Josh. That ass. My control-freak parents. My job. Lost it all at the start. Now it was just me channeled with the car. I turned swiftly and dodged the cars. All I can hear is the high pitched sound of the engine roaring and the tires on the asphalt.

I focus on the road. Urging the car to go faster. I got a little distracted by the boats and almost crashed, but I feel that the car is only an extension of the rest of my body and I dodge it. I almost crash into another car. But I dodge it too. I feel that I might not keep up on the dodging streak, so I make sure to be a little bit more careful.

I stop off to have my tires checked a few times, but my crew manages it with great speed and soon, I'm off again.

I have done a few laps when I see the dude waving the flag. Is the race done already? I feel like I could do it a thousand times. This is nothing like practice. It is way more intense. Holds way more adrenaline and I feel exhausted. But it was all worth it. This is probably one of the best things that has happened to me in the history of ever.