16. Rogues

EDITED 

Chapter sixteen:-

The week flies by fast for Tiara as she is sunk in knee deep work and she is eagerly waiting for the weekend. She hadn't gotten in contact with Christian except for a long text explaining that he had work to attend to outside the city and would be gone till next week.

Her mother's flight would be landing at 6 PM and it would take her a good, one hour to reach the airport through all the weekend traffic; so getting permission, she left work a little early.

She was preoccupied the entire drive by the traffic but as she got closer to the airport, her nerves came back to her with full force. She would be meeting her mother after almost two years. It would obviously be very awkward and she didn't even know how to be with her. She dreaded the awkward silence that would surround them in the car throughout the drive back to her apartment. But there was nothing she could so—her ego wouldn't allow her to make the first move.

She parked her car and went in to see that her mother's flight had been delayed by a few minutes. She was a bit relieved, she could give herself the much needed pep talk and calm her racing nerves in the time she'll be waiting for her mother. She sat down in those uncomfortable, metallic chairs with a cup of coffee—it wasn't alcohol, but something was better than nothing.

Soon enough, the announcement of her mother's flight's arrival rang throughout the airport. With legs as heavy as lead, she dragged herself to go meet her mother. Needless to say, Tiara was taken aback with surprise when her mother came running towards her and engulfed her in a tight embrace. Tiara awkwardly returned it back.

"Honey, I'm seeing you after so long! How have you been? Haven't you been eating well? You look so thin and unhealthy, darling," her mother rambled pulling away from her and holding her at an arm's length as she regarded her daughter.

"Mom, calm down. I'm not getting a word of what you're saying."

"Right, sorry. Come, let's go, I'm tired," she said, massaging her shoulder.

Tiara looked at her mother—not much had changed about her. Her short, dark hair was still straight as she remembered it. Like always, she was wearing her jeans and a loose, bright coloured top. She smiled at the familiarity.

Tiara took the luggage from her mother and walked silently back to her car. When she returned to her seat after putting the bag in the trunk, her mom handed her the phone.

"Do you know this address?"

Looking at the phone, the younger woman nodded her head. "Yeah, it's nearby my place. Did you want to go there?"

"Yeah, drive me there please."

Tiara pulled her car out of the parking lot. "Sure, but may I ask why?"

"This hotel seemed nice and affordable."

Tiara turned to look at her mother and quickly shifted her gaze to the road. "You are thinking of staying at a hotel?"

"Yes," her mum said, saying it like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Mum, don't be ridiculous. You can stay at my flat. No need wasting your money on a hotel room," Tiara stated.

"Oh, I couldn't, sweetheart. You've already done so much for me. Besides, you have a roommate don't you? I don't want to cause anyone any inconvenience."

"Mum, honestly, Catherine won't mind you if you stay over. She was, in fact, looking forward to meeting you. And, there are two rooms."

"Okay. Thank you, darling."