26. Karma

EDITED

Chapter twenty-six:

She cursed softly when she heard her alarm go off in the morning. She was still exhausted and needed more sleep but grudgingly, got up from the bed. Picking up all her clothes from where they were discarded on the floor, she put it on and quickly scribbled a note on his notepad kept on the nightstand. If she didn't leave now, she'd be very late for her work.

Driving back to her flat as fast as she could, she found that Catherine had already left for her work. Realising that she was had gotten later than what she had first thought, she rummaged around to get dressed.

Thankfully, when she got her to her office almost an hour later, everyone was too busy to notice. And she quickly started with her work. Halfway through the day, there was a knock on her door and she distractedly asked the person to get inside.

"Hey," Luke said as he entered.

Tiara suddenly felt her body stiffen. After last night, she had her conscience cleared. She'd be damned if she really did to Christian what she was accused of doing to Luke all those years back—cheating. She was a little taken aback by surprise when she met Luke again but now that the primal surprise had faded away, she came back to reality which she quite liked.

"Did you want something?" She asked curtly and Luke could immediately sense her change in attitude.

"Tiara, you always do this," Luke sighed. "We are okay and then when I can't see you for a while, you suddenly would've changed your mind."

Tiara couldn't help herself as a small smile spread across her face. She could vaguely remember Christian saying the same thing about her. Maybe if they both thought so, then it must be right.

"I just had some time to think things over," she shrugged her shoulders.

"It's because of him, isn't it?" Luke acidly asked.

"Of course it's because of him, Luke! I can't just stop loving him because my ex-boyfriend suddenly showed up at my workplace by pure coincidence!"

"It's no coincidence, Tiara. Can't you see? It's destiny!"

"Luke, stop with that bullshit. You and I both know that you don't believe in that," she said giving him a pointed look.

"Then how are you going to explain this?! I meet you after almost more than two years in a different continent altogether. What are you going to call it?" He asked as he made his way to stand right in front of her desk.

"I already told you; it's nothing but coincidence! Stop thinking too much into it!"

"What happened, Tiara? It looked like you were okay with me two days back. We looked okay two days back. What happened now?" He asked getting frustrated.

"Luke, I tried telling this to you before but I'm not sure if I was clear to you but let me tell it to you one more time. I am already with someone and I happen to love him. There is no chance for you and I," she said, pronouncing each and every word clearly like as if she was talking to a small boy.

"But I love you! And you used to love me! We were even about to get married, Tiara. Please don't do this to me," he said.

Looking at the look of hurt in his face, she felt her heart sinking lower. Even if she wasn't together with him now, even if she was seeing someone else now, she still cared about him.

"Luke, please, I'm sorry. Please don't be sad—just think of all this as a bad dream. Please, you have to forget all this... forget me and move on. We were never meant to be; but you'll find someone who will love you the way you deserve to be loved. Please, Luke you deserve that," she begged.