23. An old lover

EDITED

Chapter twenty-three:

The whole floor was buzzing and people were scampering around, making last minute changes and preparations for the oncoming meeting about the merger. The meeting was in a few more minutes and the head of the accounts department along with the others in-charge were to be in the conference room by the time their potential partners, who were coming from London, were to arrive.

Tiara silently cursed as she stopped in her tracks, turning to her colleague she excused herself, "You go on, I forgot the company account details on the table."

Running away awkwardly on her pumps, she grabbed it and rushed to the elevator.

TAYLOR was already greeting the people who had arrived. The company was called Carter Inc and were one of the emerging companies in London who wanted to spread their base. Because of the lack of capital and popularity, they proposed a merger with Brandon Pvt. Ltd and in return, they would open a joint venture with them once Brandon Pvt. Ltd would start off in London.

Leading them to the conference room in the 28th floor, Taylor started making the necessary introductions as the five men in crisp shirts and perfectly tailored suits took their seats.

Tiara finally made it to the room and opened the door as quietly as she could but the fairly large doors weren't modest enough to be as silent as she wanted them to be. She forced herself to not dip her head in embarrassment as she gulped at all the eyes that had turned to look at her. She quietly made her way to Taylor and handed him the file.

"Thank you," he said taking it from her hand and placing it on the table. "So shall we begin then?"

Tiara went to sit in her assigned seat and was looking at Taylor starting the meeting when she could feel a burning gaze on her. She tried to shake it off but even after a few moments, when she still felt like she was being watched, she turned in that direction and she almost fell off her chair when her eyes connected with his. Her breathing hitched and all of a sudden, the spacious and well-ventilated room made her feel claustrophobic. She wanted to run out of the building and go somewhere else where nobody could ever find her and she could hide there for as long as she wanted.

She so badly wanted to look away—she knew that she should look away but her eyes weren't complying with her mind as she continued to look at him. His eyes were still the same warm green and yet, they seemed so different. He had changed quite a bit in the last few years but she realised that he looked better than he did in her memories—the years had been very good to him. His face was still clean shaven like she remembered and tingles coursed through her when she remembered how soft his skin was—is. She had always loved exploring his skin and it was now imprinted to her memory. His eyes were wide, like as if in shock but his mouth had formed into that adorable half-smile that was so very dear to her.

She wanted to jump over the table and rush to him and take him in her arms but her wide eyes and paralysed limbs didn't allow her. She was thankful for that.

"Now, Mr. Luke Davies, William Carter's business partner will take over the meeting," Taylor said.

When Luke was still entranced by the woman he loved—loves, Taylor's brows furrowed and he called again, "Mr. Davies?"

The slightly louder voice pulled the once love birds out of their trance as Luke for a moment looked lost. Clearing his throat and fixing his tie, he got up.

Tiara was once again pulled into her thoughts as she continued to stare at Luke in awe. His once chestnut brown hair that was in quiff was now slicked back and Lord save her if that didn't make him look even more attractive. His words swam through her head as she only concentrated on his voice that once had always been effective in putting her at ease when she fussed and worried over something that was minutely troublesome. His green orbs though seemed ordinary at first, looked beautiful the longer she stared into them. It was like a black hole, sucking her in and his soul was the white hole. It always used to take only one look for her to know exactly what he was thinking. And right now with him looking directly at her, it made her feel things which she didn't think still existed.