We Are One

Beware...emotional chapter. I warned you :P

CHAPTER 6 - WE ARE ONE

REBECCA'S POV

SIX YEARS AGO

I remained petrified as he kissed me. It wasn't my first kiss, I've kissed a couple of boys in my school, but ... this one was different. 

He'd tenderly caressed my cheek, his chocolate brown eyes smiling just as his lips neared mine, which curled into a grin on their own. My heart had started racing like a fool as soon as his hand had landed on my face, just as it always did lately.

As his tongue traced my bottom lip, requesting entrance, I unconsciously agreed, parting my lips, and his tongue slipped inside. It took me a moment to adjust to it, but I was soon able to let my tongue dance with his in perfect sync, and I was so engrossed into it, that barely I noticed I was now sitting onto his lap, his arms around me, just as mine were around him.

Our bodies grew closer and closer, he gripped me tighter and tighter, and I was feeling hotter and hotter, so much that it was as if I had flu or something. Our kiss reached such intense peak that I knew I was crimson, because I could feel myself and my insides melting while churning as butterflies fluttered around my stomach. For how weird that sounds.

But ... sadly, he pulled back completely, letting me go all of a sudden, actually nearly making me fall as he leaped to his feet, apologizing confusedly: "Becky, I'm sorry, I ... I-I don't know what got into me, I ... I-I shouldn't have ..." He growled, tormenting his hair in frustration.

I gaped at him, puzzled. Why was he apologizing? There was nothing to be sorry for. He kissed me. And I liked it. And I wanted him to do it again. Why should he apologize? It was amazing. Pure bliss.

So I went closer and hugged him, wrapping my arms around his torso as I leaned my head on his chest. As usual. His body stiffened a little at first, but then he let himself go and hugged me back, leaning his chin on my head, as usual. Smiling, I pointed out: "I liked it."

He cleared his throat awkwardly, his heart beating fast against my ear: "It ... it wasn't right, Becky. You know that."

"Why?"

"Because ... I'm your brother."

"Stepbrother."

He sighed. "It's the same."

So he regretted it. He regretted kissing me. My eyes, uncontrollably, filled with tears, my heart burning because there were words I needed to tell him, they'd been crowding my mind since long and while I didn't quite know the real meaning of it, I needed to tell him, so I looked up at him, fixing my watery eyes on his chocolate browns, and confessed: "I love you, Tom."

I could feel his heart racing if possible even faster at my words, and mine dropped as he remained silent. My feelings weren't mutual, were they? I knew almost nothing about love, except for the one we read about and saw in movies, the ones we read and saw together, that is, but I felt just as confused as Lizzie when she saw Mr. Darcy, just as weird as Jane when she was around Mr. Rochester, and even just as jealous as Hermione felt at the sight of Ron and Lavender together. Even if I'd never known about it, I would have felt it. I wouldn't have known its name, but I would have felt it. Because I felt all those things, and for him only.

"A-As ... as a brother?" Tom stammered.

I shook my head. "I love you like Snape loved Lily."

His heart skipped several beats as he gulped. Closing my eyes, tears streamed my cheeks, and I pressed my forehead against his shoulder. I knew it was maybe wrong, because he's supposed to be my brother, even if there is no blood relation between us, but I still love him and it hurts to know he doesn't feel the same.